Underwater Clicker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cra2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm new to diving so forgive me if this has been covered:

As an alternative to having to reach for my dive tool, unsheath it, and reach around behind me to bang on my cylinder, is there a simpler "clicker" for underwater signaling?

Would those cheap (less than a dollar) little dog training clickers work underwater?

That's something I've heard of before. But I heard you wore it around your palm so your fingers/thumb are still free to operate. But with the marble in the palm of your hand, anytime you want, you smack your cylinder open-handed.
If you want it out of the way, like when you're ready to board, you let it roll up onto your wrist.

But this item's description says you attach it to the cylinder.
?? how/why ??

DivemasterSteve:
here is an option that is cheap. scroll down to the tank banger. http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp_Category_225_page_5_recs_10

steve

cra2:
But this item's description says you attach it to the cylinder.
?? how/why ??

its an elastic cord that stretches around your tank and when ever you want to "bang" on your tank you just reach behind you and pull on it and then let it go. i have seen them used by several different divers and they work good.

steve

Another thing that you can try is a shaker (see http://www.divingdirectshop.co.uk/acatalog/SAFETYACCESSORIES.html)

They're actually quite effective in getting attention.

Also the Storm whistle mentioned on the page is advertised as being able to be used underwater and does make enough noise to be heard but you've gotta take your reg out to use it and blow well through it...I know 'cos I've tried it.....well you have to sometimes

I have a whistle that "works" underwater as well.
If your partner is close enough to buddy breathe on a short hose, they'll hear it...

I've found the tank banger lacking as well. I don't even put it on my tank anymore. A nice underwater/above wter horn will be the way for me to go when they become perfected. Actually, the best woudl be an Air 2 Type octo that has the signally horn for above and below water built in. There is one manufacterer that has one, but it has gotten poor marks for breathng the octo (most important part).

JAG

JAG

For close quarters signalling, I like a rattle. You can make them or buy them.

If you remember the film "The Longest Day", Allied troops were issued with 'crickets' that made a sharp click as a means of signalling and recognition. I was hoping there would be some such device for divers, but cannot find anything - most devices seem to be either rattles or tank bangers or the expensive 'quackers' that run off the LP hose.

Of course if I did find a 'cricket' I'd have the additional worry of danger from German snipers...

K.

Like JustLeesa, I tried two different versions of the dog-training type of clickers when we were in Cozumel last October. If you knew what to listen for and when it is possible to hear them, but really they are ineffective. The breathing sounds drown out the clicking sounds. It was a fun experiment though. Maybe I need to figure out another one so I can go to Cozumel to test it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom