Underwater Comm Systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boater Dan:
PSD's:

We were just awarded a grant to procure AGA full face masks and underwater communication systems. I wanted to check and see who is utilizing the OTS systems and get some information:

Are you using the wireless system? Any issues? How well does it function? Would you procure it again? Would you do anything different? How long have you used the units?

Are you utilizing the full surface unit or the surface kit for the portable unit? Are the surface to diver communications clear? What distances? What depths?

Anything I should be asking, but do not know to ask?

I thank you in advance for the input.

Dan

Dan,

We have been using AGAs w/ OTS comms for about three years. We use either the hardwire or wireless systems on every dive.

We have had very few problems with the hardwire system. We have and use both the standard and portable surface units. The portable unit is usually the choice with the hardwire system. (The mobility for the tender is nice.) The only draw back that I find with this system is the size of the comm/rope. It is a lot to drag when swimming search patterns. If I'm the tender, I love it. If I'm swimming, it's not so great!

We have had a few more bugs to work out with the wireless system (STX 101 surface unit, mobile surface unit and SSB 2010 tranceivers). Practice helps. Once you get through the learning curve they work pretty well. Although they are not 100% reliable, at the end of the day I'm glad to have them when being line tended is not an option. The portable surface unit here is not always optimal. Since the transducer must stay put anyway (most times), mobility is not such an issue. Sometimes it's nice to have the capability for more than one person to listen to the divers....

If you are just now transitioning to AGAs as well there is definitely a learning curve involved. Also some gear set-up and training issues. If you would like to send me a private message w/ contact info. I would be happy to chat and share some of our failures and successes....

Good luck
am

We have also found that there is a learning curve to the OTS wirless. The boat trasmiter needs to be within the same thermalcline as the divers are in. Also the ear piece works much better when your head is turned towards the transmiter that you want to send to or recieve from(transmition will not go through your head)(I talk to one unit that wear a receiving only ear piece on the opposite ear so that they can always hear). Also there is a timing issue with when to speak, it is very hard to hear when you are exhaling so when talking to another diver try to watch his bubbles and speak on his inhale. After some practice you learn a convesation rythm to aviod this problem. Like any tool they have their strengths and weaknesses. All in all I think they are a great tool.

Best of luck; practice, practice, practice

Dan

We are getting aga masks for our team and are looking for hard wire comms. Are they better than wireless for PSD? And are ther any grants out there for PSD?

afdpm2:
We are getting aga masks for our team and are looking for hard wire comms. Are they better than wireless for PSD? And are ther any grants out there for PSD?

The really simple answer is that, for 95% of th work that PSD teams do, the hard-wire is a better choice. Your operational, or searching, diver is on a tether already, and it is simple to use the line with built-in wire, or run the two together. It really beats the Hell out of line-pull signals.

If you will contact John Hott at Ocean Technology Systems (OTS), he can give you all the info on the systems, and he has knowledge of places to go to get grants for same.

Try here: www.oceantechnologysystems.com

Cheers!

P.S..---PM me if you have trouble reaching John, and I can help.

Rob Davie

I wanted to thank everyone for their input. I did speak to John Hott at OTS yesterday and was given some very good information. Since I do not know exactly what we were awarded, I do not know the exact direction we will go yet. I feel if at all possible, we will try and go the hardwire route.

The one point that John did make to me seems to be a recurring theme. All of the equipment is top notch will work fine if properly used. It really comes down to knowledge and training in how to employ the units.

Other people have pointed out the importance of knowing all of your equipment in a dark room and to train, train, and then train some more.

Thanks again all!

Dan

I'm wondering if any of you have had a chance to use the DiveLink system? We've sold a few overseas, but not to many to Departments.

USIA:
I'm wondering if any of you have had a chance to use the DiveLink system? We've sold a few overseas, but not to many to Departments.

Jerry,

Have you had a chance to try OTS equipment? You'll see why it's the standard of the PSD industry.

afdpm2:
And are ther any grants out there for PSD?

You do not specify from your post if you are a fire department team, law enforcement, or an independent. We had received our grant through the Assistance to Fire Fighters Grants. There are certain criteria I "believe" the review agency is looking for. We have been in service for about 14+ years, we are multi-agency (FD & PD Divers), we respond on a lot of mutual aid calls outside of our immediate response area, and offer dive, boat, and ice rescue support. So, I feel we were fortunate in receiving our grant. There is money available through the AFFG program as well as different Law Enforcement grant opportunities.

From my understanding, it is difficult to get monies to start a new team unless there is some compelling reason for it (Port security, potential terrorist target area, etc.). I am not aware of ANY grants specific to Dive Teams. I might suggest that if you are blessed with any major industry in your area, that you contact them and see if they offer any type of charitable donations. Particularly if they have any water impoundments on their property (just make certain they are not haz-mat and do not get sucked into commercial activities).

Also, depending on what state you live in, there is generally funding available through your state representatives to hand out around election times. That is the best time to hit them up for funding.

Good luck and dive safe.

Dan

Boater Dan:
You do not specify from your post if you are a fire department team, law enforcement, or an independent. We had received our grant through the Assistance to Fire Fighters Grants. There are certain criteria I "believe" the review agency is looking for. We have been in service for about 14+ years, we are multi-agency (FD & PD Divers), we respond on a lot of mutual aid calls outside of our immediate response area, and offer dive, boat, and ice rescue support. So, I feel we were fortunate in receiving our grant. There is money available through the AFFG program as well as different Law Enforcement grant opportunities.

From my understanding, it is difficult to get monies to start a new team unless there is some compelling reason for it (Port security, potential terrorist target area, etc.). I am not aware of ANY grants specific to Dive Teams. I might suggest that if you are blessed with any major industry in your area, that you contact them and see if they offer any type of charitable donations. Particularly if they have any water impoundments on their property (just make certain they are not haz-mat and do not get sucked into commercial activities).

Also, depending on what state you live in, there is generally funding available through your state representatives to hand out around election times. That is the best time to hit them up for funding.

Good luck and dive safe.

Dan
Sorry about that we are a full time fire department and have several bodies of water in our district.

Back
Top Bottom