Underwater filter (red) for Canon housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you tried the filter yet? What's your opinion?? Review ?? :D

Yes I used it in Catalina a couple of weeks ago. But I used it mostly with video. When I was doing stills I didn't use the filter. It worked very well though.

Well I pulled the trigger and order the 3 packs from a store in Florida. Will not be able to test until October for my Indonesia trip.

I was looking the at instructions on how to use them and I thought why not attach the filter to the flash diffuser attachment from Canon? I figured if I did it this way I would be able to remove the filter quickly on the surface or if I decide to take topside pictures.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-WP-DC80-Waterproof-PowerShot-SD550/dp/B000B674C0

To the photo pro, do you see any issues by this? Is the filter maybe too far apart from the lenses?

Thanks

Well I pulled the trigger and order the 3 packs from a store in Florida. Will not be able to test until October for my Indonesia trip.

I was looking the at instructions on how to use them and I thought why not attach the filter to the flash diffuser attachment from Canon? I figured if I did it this way I would be able to remove the filter quickly on the surface or if I decide to take topside pictures.

Amazon.com: Canon WP-DC80 Waterproof Case for PowerShot SD550: Camera & Photo

To the photo pro, do you see any issues by this? Is the filter maybe too far apart from the lenses?

Thanks

The 'Magic Filter' is gel based and is not designed to work in a wet environment, it will just fall apart. It is meant to be used inside the housing. So you have to commit to using it at the start of your dive. Which is the disadvantage of the 'Magic Filter' system, since if you use flash on a close subject, the photo will be too red. It should work well on wide angle shots without flash.

I posted a brief summary about 6 months ago from the Magic filter, overall was quite happy with it. Here's a link to my summary, to our Belize photo gallery (Turneffe Islands) where most shots are with the filter - what's interesting is that IMO you can clearly see the difference between shots with filter and those without. I've also included a link to the video used with the filter too (where I think it makes the biggest difference)

Canon SD870IS and Magic Filter underwater in Belize
Travel Photos » Belize
Belize scuba diving video around Turneffe Islands (Atoll)

Like all things, the big question is "would you use it again"? And for me the answer is yes - but having a second camera without the filter in order to use flash for macro stuff and crevices.

Have you tried the filter yet? What's your opinion?? Review ?? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom