Underwater fishing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Distraction once bubbled...
...but I don't think I'd target Largemouth. Like I said, I only target species that I like to eat.

Big Striped Bass on the other hand...

There's a lake nearby that has a warm-water outflow from a powerplant. In the winter, the big stripers (20-40 pounders!)supposedly school up and hang out near the outflow.

I wonder how easy it would be with a Striper compared to a Largemouth.

And something tells me that a 40lb striper could probably pull me around a little bit! :)

Is that a NUCLEAR power plant? Do you folks actually dive (and fish) enclosed lakes being used by nuclear plants?

Tanstaafl, I'm a bit slow. It's taken me until now to understand your cajun bird dog post...obviously too subtle for me, but very funny!

:D

I didn't even get the dog thing until just now...

As for diving in the cooling lake for the Nuclear Power Plant, I figure if I dive in there enough, I may just grow gills and I won't need all that darn equipment! :)

Plus the fish grow EXTRY big! :wink:

Seriously, though, some near state-record fish are caught in Lake Anna every year in the winter near the outflow.

I'm sure the viz ain't all that...I've only dived once in the cold side...viz was about 5-10 feet. You'd have to really sneak up on a fish to get close enough to him.

But there might be other clearer lakes around. It's just that Lake Anna is a bit warmer this time o' year.

I'm really interested in hearing more stories from folks who've tried something like underwater fishing before!

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
It works with bugs too. Pole, line, stocking with a little bait in it, stick it under a ledge.....big citation if the law finds out.
I like the hunt (and money), so I'll stick to the more traditional methods: rod and reel topside, hands and urchin spines below.

yet another way to troll on the scubaboard :wink:
So - dou you guys ever get tangled in your *own* fishing line?

cat once bubbled...
yet another way to troll on the scubaboard :wink:
So - dou you guys ever get tangled in your *own* fishing line?

Hmmmm, so Cat is interested in the "bondage" side of it...

Mebbe she is thinking of a job with OMS?

Always liked that palindrome...
Cave Diver once bubbled...

Hmmmm, so Cat is interested in the "bondage" side of it...

Mebbe she is thinking of a job with OMS?
Now that's interesting. And here I was just thinking about the safety issues of diving while trolling and the potential embarassment to the diver who has to be cut out of his/her own fishing line...
But Cave Diver thinks immediately of bondage. While diving. In "gear" at least partly made of rubber and/or neoprene. Hmm. John - you're giving me fodder for a second limerick here...:kitty:

(I'm *not* going to ask what Ocean Management Systems has to do with bondage since it's probably some tech diving/DIFR inside joke. Bungeed Wings of Death, perhaps? Darn - I'm conjecturing.)

cat once bubbled...
Always liked that palindrome...

Now that's interesting. And here I was just thinking about the safety issues of diving while trolling and the potential embarassment to the diver who has to be cut out of his/her own fishing line...
But Cave Diver thinks immediately of bondage. While diving. In "gear" at least partly made of rubber and/or neoprene. Hmm. John - you're giving me fodder for a second limerick here...:kitty:

(I'm *not* going to ask what Ocean Management Systems has to do with bondage since it's probably some tech diving/DIFR inside joke. Bungeed Wings of Death, perhaps? Darn - I'm conjecturing.)

<shrug> I warned ya...

But for the record, I never mentioned anything about rubber or neoprene, I was just commenting on your "tangled in your own fishing line comment."

Its YOU that jumped on the rubber/neoprene band wagon! :D

And a good conjecture it was on the BWOD. (noting that you are *not* going to ask, but still managed to respond)

And I can't wait to hear your next limerick...

Distraction once bubbled...
Has anyone tried taking a lure and fishing line (maybe even on an old rod and reel), and trying to catch a fish on hook and line while underwater?

I asked my dive instructor about that back when I was taking lessons. I was told that it was illegal in the State of Texas. Never tried it because of that.

Also never tried spear fishing as I was told you could only take non-game fish (and who wants to eat that - yuck)

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom