underwater forests in Tobermory??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azuregirl

New
Reaction score
A group of friends and I are planning a trip to Tobermory to do some diving. We plan to do some wrecks, but I had also heard of underwater (maybe petrified??) forests and ancient coral near Tobermory. Am trying to find out where exactly this is located and if there are any other cool "must see" geological stuff in the area. Any help would be appreciated!!:blinking:

This might be better posted in the Ontario fresh Water Freaks forum. Not many would call these dives "underwater treasures" of the sort discussed in this forum!
There are submerged petrified forests near Wiarton. I thought there were some older threads on this site, but could not find them to post the links. Someone in the OFWF forum might be familiar with the site and if it is "diveable".
Otherwise, there are tons of gelogical formations to see around Tobermory. This website lists a few:
http://www.diversden.ca/ds_map.html
Dunk's Bay, Little Cove, and the wall at the Lighthouse are all easy shore dives.
"The Caves" at Cypress Lake park is a fun dive, but is easiest to get to by a charter with one of the Tobermory dive shops.
Pablo's Hangover and North Otter Wall are definite boat dives. I do not recall ever seeing a charter go to these sites. The dive shops definitely focus on the area wrecks- that is where the demand is.
A word of warning.. A bit of familiarity with the local geology is an immense help. Otherwise, it will just seem like you are looking at rocks. Lots of rocks.

Moved to OFWF forum for advice from the local experts :D

Diving near the lighthouse you can see glacial marks in the rock--I thought they were pretty cool :biggrin:
Ber :lilbunny:

In 94 and 95 HMCS Cormorant and Clearance Divers from FDU(A) found the "underwater forrest" and also ancient waterfalls and did some time on the Edmund Fitzgerald. The forest if I remember correctly is fairly deep at ~100 meters (give or take a few)

The underwater forest I think you heard about is located in Colpoy Bay near Wiarton,Its located on the northwest side of Gundersen Shoal just off of Kidd Point on White Cloud Island.Sorry no GPS coordinates yet. Apparently the tree stumps are between 4,500 and 7,600 years old. Depth is to 34 feet.

I am responding to this old thread to see if anybody knows how far off the point this forest is located? Or if anybody has GPS coordinates yet? I might have access to a boat out of Wiarton once or twice this year and would like to consider this as an option.E

Steve, I've dived the NE side of Gunderson shoal and not found the forest...let me know when you have boat access, maybe it can be located with more divers :)

How far off Kidd Point were you shoredivr? I made the assumption (likely an incorrect one too) that it was closer to the point. I have nautical maps at home.....it has been a while since I looked at them so I will have to see which ones I have. Ever hear that perhaps the forest was closer to Cape Croker.

If you check the chart of Colpoy's Bay I only see one shallow spot that fits the depths given. Anchoring without damage could be a real problem. I sailed over it a couple of times and it's shoals/drops off very quickly. I suspect it might need to be done 'live boat'.

I just checked my charts and it looks like a very shallow peak at about 14' (I would expect he forest to be in slightly deeper water and west'sh of that plateau) and it seems it is not quite the ridge that I had thought it was. It looks more like a pinnacle or plateau of sorts but not quite as shear of walls. I have some SB friends coming from NY and PA for the July long weekend.....this might be an option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom