Underwater GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydroslyder:
Does anybody know why they dont make an underwater GPS, I figured this would be something really kool, you would never have to worry about not finding a wreck, or the dive boat again.

Anyway just a thought.

Thanks
GPS uses higher frequency than can travel underwater. Underwater communication is done using low frequency. That is why communications by submarines is generally done on the surface. High frequency waves are very close together and are easily disrupted penetrating water. Low or long waves can travel through water with limited range.

By the way. A waterproof GPS means if you drop it in the water or it is in the weather. Not that it can be used underwater.

Islandjim

Why dont you people just use basic trig and a compass to plot your position. Thats really the basis of GPS.

Yes, there are numerous sources for underwater GPS units.

Depending on where you dive you may choose to rent a receiver, rather than purchase a unit.

I this case, the boat operator tows a transmitter, and you can track you position relative to the boat - very helpful!

For more information simply make an inquiry in your favorite search engine for "underwater""GPS" you'll have an evenings reading ahead of you.

See you underwater!

Regards

Jeff

hydroslyder:
Does anybody know why they dont make an underwater GPS, I figured this would be something really kool, you would never have to worry about not finding a wreck, or the dive boat again.

Anyway just a thought.

Thanks

I had this discussion recently with a friend who was, until recently, a Navy SEAL. He is a very reliable guy and claimed that, in fact, they did have them and he had personally used them. He said they did not work below about 30' and were somewhat large but did, indeed, work quite well. They also trailed no antenna on the surface. They were entirely self contained.

Wait a little longer and they will perhaps be available to rank and file civilian scuba divers. Until then, think about an advanced underwater navigatioin course. Soon after that, lead some dives. I've found it also helps to pay close attention to the dive briefing before entering the water. Get a good visual image of the dive site together with some above wayer compass bearings before going in. One last hint . . . it is usually far easier to see the large shadow the dive boat casts on the bottom long before you can see the hull of the dive boat itself on the surface.

mxracer19:
Why dont you people just use basic trig and a compass to plot your position. Thats really the basis of GPS.

there is a lot to say for good navigation skills. however i see few that has mastered it. i am not one of the few.... especially when i have set and drift, sight seeing, keeping track of my buddy and stats.

like others i am a former submariner. i learned long ago for every system there is a backup. in this case a spare compass is not a back up. many have spoke of subs with ins in it there may be as many as a half a dozen ins's on board not to mention loran omega visual nav sat drai and more. all inputs are evaluated and a position determination is made.

now a lake like dive spot some what precludes the need for more than a compass if one is not affected by low vis. however in openwater such as salt water diving few have the familiarity of the area to resolve location issues one sea mount looks like every other. throw tide current and mans nataural desire to document the dive by camera, it is not hard to loose your bearing to the anchor line. i am by no means the blue water expert. however i knowthis and think having a locator like the desertstar systems are a darn good idea. i have surfaced 500 feeet fromn the boat before because the consensus was the boat is this way. wrong guess. personally i am pretty good at using trig and navigation. however the prereq is that you are the cnotrolling factor in your change of position and that you move in straight tracks. this is not met when you are say in a drift dive where the boat may relocate for pick up. or in the flower gardens or stetson banks where it is soo easy to become attention consumed by your surroundings and taking pics that you just dont notice that 1/2 knot current. i know that if my compas says home is north and the locater says north east i am going to go north east. lastly i have seen instructors overshoot the boat . wont happen with the beacon. as handy as these deices are it is still no excuse to forgo your compass skill developement. in guess in short the desertstar is a confirmation device. last thing there are not that many that can use trig to the degree necessary to navigate.

KWS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom