underwater hunting season in Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aigtbootbp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are going to be in Oahu from the 17th to the 24th of August (as I mentioned in my previous thread) and a few of us would like some delicious seafood. Being the hard core diver in the group I have been asked if I could make any fresh contributions to the pot so I am here to ask is if/when there a spearfishing and/or lobster or anything else yummy to eat season in oahu and what sort of permits does it take to do so?
Thanks again!!

ETA; If I read the regulations correctly no permit is required to go fishing in the ocean. Is that correct? If I bring a fishing rod I can just drop a line in and not worry about any permits? Does this apply to spearfishing too?

Last edited:
There are no licenses, but there are seasonal and regional closures, and restrictions such as size and bag limits. You can check the Hawaii DNR Division of Aquatic Resources for info.

I've had decent luck getting lobsters on Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island - haven't tried Oahu - but that season will be closed while you're there. There are edible reef fish but you have to know which are at risk of ciguatera infection. A spearfishing shop might be a good resource overall.

We used to take travel pole spears, and while you CAN find things to eat that you actually have a chance at spearing (those Hawaiian fish seem to know a spear/gun when they see it!), they tend to be small (except the lobster!). You might be more satisfied with the results if you get on a deep sea fishing trip instead.

Spoolin is right, you have to know the laws and which reef fish are higher risk of ciguatera poisioning. Most of the fish will be small unless you go to secluded spots.

There are a few marine sancturies here on Oahu, namely Pupukea, Waikiki and Hanauma Bay. As such, these are no-take zones, and hefty fines exist for folk caught fishing there. There are a few other areas around the island where the fishing is regulated, like the Waikiki-Diamond Head Shoreline Fisheries Management Area. Spoolin01's link tells you everything you need to know.

I find that the restrictions such as size limits and so on here in Hawaii aren't as comprehensive as they could be, and as such, don't provide a great deal of guidance for sustainable hunting. For example, the existing size restriction for parrotfish is 12-inches. Thing is, they don't reach sexual maturity until they reach ~14-inches, so even taking a 'regulation sized' fish is ultimately harmful to the population in the long-term. There's was some talk about a year or two ago amending the regulations governing parrotfish, goatfish and jacks, but I don't think anything much has happened. As such, research the critters thoroughly so you have a good idea about population, reproduction and so on, and go from there.

Finally (and to risk sounding like a broken record, but it can't be over-emphasized), the risk of ciguatera fish poisoning - especially among apex reef predators - does exist if you hunt fish in Hawaii. Fish toward the top of the food chain like roi, barracuda, jacks, wrasses, wild kahala, menpachi, ulua and papio, eel, kole, weke, manini, palani and hapuupuu are potentially harmful. The toxin doesn't affect the fish, but it harms humans, and we can't smell it or taste it. See Hawai‘i State Department of Health

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom