Underwater Hydration Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dschonbrun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm a fairly new diver, and am involved in lots of other sports where we carry our hydration packs with us and drink as needed. Do the same options exist for a warm water rec diver? What products would you suggest?

Thanks,
David

Hi David, I'm a Mountain Biker and used to drinking every 5 minutes with my camelback. There might be systems for drinking underwater, but honnestly, you don't need to. For recreational diving (what, maybe 60 minutes under water?) you'll be fine if when you get out of the water you have a water bottle waiting for you. Surface intervals between dives are plenty enough time to rehydrate partially before the next dive. You'll be fine if you do this.
Always bring plenty to drink when diving!

Hope this helps!:coffee:

I'm a fairly new diver, and am involved in lots of other sports where we carry our hydration packs with us and drink as needed. Do the same options exist for a warm water rec diver? What products would you suggest?

Thanks,
David

If you really feel the need for it, then just use the same flexible bladder hydration (such as camelback) that you use on land. The flexible pack will collapse as you drink and it will work at depth.

I find it easier to relieve drymouth by simply sucking in a bit of seawater, swishing and gargling a bit and then spitting it back out. For 90+ minute dives I might drink a Capri Sun foil juice pack around the 60 minute point, but more often than not, even on long dives I don't find a need to drink if I start the dive properly hydrated.

Charlie Allen

you can use a Camelbak, and I have, but that was a very long 3hr dive at very shallow depths. I would say that as a recreational diver where your long dives will only be 60-75 minutes at low exertion levels, if you start hydrated and drink between dives, its not worth the effort to bother. Just don't get lulled into thinking that your not thirsty, you'll realize your thirsty on your second dive when you legs cramp terribly.

remember, cold water (yes 80F is cold compared to your warm 98F blood) will induce your body to pee, so if you don't have the urge to pee half way through the dive, your probably dehydrated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom