Underwater Ireland: National Geographic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised at the underwater landscape. I had a completely different expectation of what it would look like.

mempilot:
I'm surprised at the underwater landscape. I had a completely different expectation of what it would look like.

But with so little light geting through you have to have lights to see the color. Colour when you go over there :wink:

Hi guys,

I'm new to the board (was gonna start out in Greets but didn't find any relevant threads). But after looking around I came across your link. I've grown up in Dublin, Ireland and up until a few years ago never even considered swimming in the sea. After all, they say that due to Sellafield in the UK, the Irish Sea is the most radioactive sea in the world :death2: ! Then I did my PADI OW course and never looked back. I have now gone up to Master SCUBA Diver certification and am in the middle of my Divemaster course. In my experience I have logged over 100 dives, only 1 of which has been outside Irish waters. Irish diving is a well kept secret from the rest of the world. Infact, some sites along the west coast have been described as world class diving. Yet, I still come across people, even Irish people who live by the coast all there lives (or not far from it- we are an island after all), who have the preconception that there is nothing beneath the waves. The National Geographic have done a great job of turning this on it's head. I would definately recommend that if you are intrigued that you definately give Ireland a shot for your next diving escape!

subaquaman

Sub,

Welcome to the board and I know I'd really enjoy diving over there. If I get the chance, I'll be there in a second. I've always wanted to visit Ireland anyway, even before diving, so it would be a great trip.

Dive safe,

Mem

Thanks for this link to Irish diving. It really surprised me. I've been to Ireland a few times but have never even consider swimming there, let alone diving. Are there dive shops in Mayo on the coast? What mil suit would you need? Is it only dry suit diving? What are water temps in July and what is the average depth of good diving?

Based on the water temp mentioned in the Flash presentation (I think it was 50-53F), I would wear my drysuit with thick undies. But I'm a wimp about being cold.

i know a certain padi instructor from dublin who'll be posting in this thread before long...:D

pilot fish:
Thanks for this link to Irish diving. It really surprised me. I've been to Ireland a few times but have never even consider swimming there, let alone diving. Are there dive shops in Mayo on the coast? What mil suit would you need? Is it only dry suit diving? What are water temps in July and what is the average depth of good diving?

can dive wet I started diving in N & S Ireland and dived with a 4 mil vest 6 mil farmer john and a 6 mil beaver tail jacket hood attached, all year round (look at the photo in my profile) that was taken in NI. The temps can get a lot lower than 50f so be prepared, drink lots of coffee before you dive :wink:

Back
Top Bottom