Underwater Metal Detectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far the research on the original question about Ebinger is going slow however most of the feed back is good, I have had to translate one or two German forum pages. One of the big advantages is the 1Kg weight that about 2.2 pounds. and the 10 hours battery on the down side its about €1500 or $1950 probably in or around the same as the other top end machines.
In the meantime I have decided to get a cheep fill in and have chosen the Vibra Tector which should arrive soon, it will do as a pinpointer later on but first it will allow me to search the seaweed for lost weight which is likely the most valuable thing where I dive.
Once I have tried it I will add a review.

Has Anyone tried a Garrett sea hunter mark 2... ????

This detector is submersible up to 200 ft and if you buy it from an authorized dealer, it comes with submersible headphones and mount configurations for both land and sea. You can use it for wreck diving as it is created to be used in salt water. It also has batteries and a 1 year limited warranty included.

This detector costs less than half what some of the other detectors in this thread cost and it is made in the USA!

is the Garrett sea hunter mark 2 a pulse induction machiene or something else, not knocking the Garrett but my last detector was made in the USA and it cost me half of the other machines mentioned

The Mark II uses a trash elimination mode that discriminates unlike other conventional pulse induction detectors. It has an enhanced discrimination mode that allows it to eliminate more trash along with salt and ground minerals without missing valuable targets. (i.e. you can skip over pulltabs but still detect a thin gold ring.) Freq = 750 PPS

Does this help?

Well i got the Vibra Tetctor
tested it on the beach and it works well takes a bit to get used to the lack of noise as it vibrates and a light flashes,
then it took it into the pool and spent about an hour on the bottom at 5 m or 15 ft and it stayed dry happy days ,I hope to take it into the see or a dockyard over the weekend,
its a PI unit and yes it finds nails ,its max range is 3 to 4 inches but initially I will be looking for lead so just need it to run trough the weed and help with the low vis

have an excalibur, and it can be really sensitive on beach, haven't used it underwater yet as I need to find some out of state water targets, althought 3 miles isn't real far. Anyone have some wrecks out florida state waters worth practicing on? One thing about excalibur, is that the coil is (and only consider largest coil) is weighted for diving, hence when not diving you have extra weight to swing. there is an aftermarket company (can't remember name off hand) that makes unweighted coil that also penetrates thruout coil same depth as opposed to the cone shape beam penetration, which obviates need for overlapping when swinging coil.

Where does one go to find out the laws regarding usage of detectors and what you can legally claim? I am looking to dive south FL and the keys.

According to the dive Florida guide using a metal detector isn't a big issue as long as you not into full salvage mode. Though here's a link that might be useful that particularly applies to the treasure coast area.
FLORIDA

Well Hi have been in the water 3 times with the Vibra Tector and so far so good,
the dives ere 5 m, 4m and 7m, its only rated to 10m.
the depth is good enough probably 75-100mm or 3 to 4 inches, recovered myabe 10 to 15 coins 2 weights and a really old dive knife one of the guys id it as the kind sold in the 60's and it looks like it was last soon after,
i have to say I like the detector, not rated deep enough but is excellent for the price and nice size for travel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom