Underwater Photography Tips: Black Backgrounds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maluku Diving

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
More helpful photography advice from Maluku Divers’ photo pro Mr Fred Dion, as he discusses photography techniques he implements during his diving life at Maluku Divers, Ambon, this week the big man talks black backgrounds

Have you ever wondered how photographers get nice black backgrounds on their macro shots which make their subjects pop? It’s an easy technique once you understand the basics of camera settings and of strobe placement, which I’ll show you below. What you’re doing is eliminating any ambient light in your photo and lighting the subject only with your strobe without lighting the area around it.

BBG-2-1-of-1.jpg

BBG-3-1-of-1.jpg

The technique above is great as I said for fish portraits but when shooting real small critters, that are only inches from your port, strobe placement is the key. You still want to get down low and shoot up since this will eliminate lighting up some background but feathering your lighting with your strobe will make your subject pop.

Photo-1-single-strobe-1-of-1.jpg

Photo-2-Dual-strobe-1-of-1.jpg

BBG-1-1-of-1.jpg

Source: Diving Maluku Resort

Underwater Photography Tips: Black Backgrounds -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom