For Sale Underwater ROV with Speargun - Sit on your boat and Spearfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, so one must make sure to hang their feet off the boat into the water while piloting the rov.

Sounds like one has to actually be in the water, and I don't think the ROV would be considered spear fishing gear.

Under general regulations, Ca.
28.90. Diving, Spearfishing. Persons who are floating or swimming in the water may use spearfishing gear and skin or SCUBA diving equipment to take fin fish other than giant (black) sea bass, garibaldi, gulf grouper, broomtail grouper, trout, salmon, or broadbill [swordfish], except that:

(a) No person may possess or use a spear within 100 yards of the mouth of any stream in any ocean waters north of Ventura County.

(b) When spearfishing for or in possession of federal groundfish species or associated species as authorized pursuant to subsection 27.20(b)(1)(D), in an area or during a season closed to the take of these species, no fishing gear except spearfishing gear may be aboard the vessel or watercraft.

Let me get this straight. So fishing with hand grenades is out of the question even if I'm in the water at the time??? :wink:

Wasen't there a Cousteau story like that? The upshot of which was he and Dumas, I believe, getting closer to charges detonated underwater to see the effect on divers in the water.

Bob

Hey all, Thanks for all of your thoughts. Lets not forget the whole idea of this was for the Divers who can't dive any more for medical reasons.
So let's assume all of you say "SCREW THE DIVER WITH MEDICAL PROBLEMS". We don't want them in the water anyway.
Last the guy who said, "Waste of time and Confederate money", should keep his thoughts to himself as I was born and raised in Key West diving at 12.
Not a Confederate bone in me. Makes you sound Ignorant.
Thanks again all and Happy Diving, John

.... I was born and raised in Key West ...

{/devil's advocate}

Since you mentioned Florida, it would be an interesting court argument on the aspect ,,,Is an U/W drone classified as 'attended gear' as opposed to something like a trap which is un-attended gear for licensing purposes. Technology out-pacing laws.

@JAKaprocki
" I was born and raised in Key West diving at 12.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Good for you ! born and raised in Key West- in 1955
Any American who has the most limited knowledge of history recognizes anything below the Mason- Dixon Line is considered part of the Confederacy - so who "Sounds ignorant ?"

I have been recognized as one who has speared a fish or two during my active spearfishing days
My personal best are;
* Yellow tail 27 pounds
* Halibut 38 pounds ( record for one year 1962- you were 7 years old )
* White sea bass 49 pounds
* Black Sea Bass 345 pounds ( Now protected since 1972 -you were 17 years old in 1972)
* Lobster 17 pounds ( on display at local dive shop)

What are your personal spearfishing best in your long term of ten (10) years of active diving with fifty (50) dives ?

I suspect I know - but the gathered masses of SCUBA Board members are probably eagerly awaiting your response.

Cheers from California - where it all began -Including American Spear fishing

Sam Miller, 111
@Akimbo

Any American who has the most limited knowledge of history recognizes anything below the Mason- Dixon Line is considered part of the Confederacy - so who "Sounds ignorant ?"
Except for Key West and while I won't try to speak for "any American", it's pretty common knowledge here in Florida that Key West went out of their way to not be a part of the Confederacy even to celebrating the Emancipation Proclomation. Key West - The Confederate City that Seceded from the Civil War - MilitaryHistoryNow.com Their current slogan, at least for the Conch Republic, is "We secede where others fail!" They love being contrarians, even to other contrarians.

Wasn't there a Cousteau story like that? The upshot of which was he and Dumas, I believe, getting closer to charges detonated underwater to see the effect on divers in the water.

Not sure but I do remember a Sea Hunt episode like that. However, it wouldn't be the only episode inspired by The Silent World.

It does sound like the kind of thing that the French Navy would be interested in after Cousteau and Philippe Tailliez formed the GRS (French Navy's Groupement de Recherches Sous-marines) before Cousteau left active duty. Dumas was a civilian consultant for the GRS so would certainly be involved if your recollection is correct.

To all you divers, Please except my apologizes if I a fended any body. This ROV "Stingray" Speargun thing was ONLY and idea for the Divers who can't dive any more. Nothing more.
I am going to put it on Kick Starter July 1. Who know's I just may help one old timer who can't dive any more who does want to sit on his boat and spearfish.
I do like the idea the one person mentioned about the Lion Fish. Could be my next project as I have so much time on my hands.
"There is no bad idea". Some better than others. and Yes Key West was almost with out a country.
Happy diving and smile at the next stranger you see on the street. I does make them feel good.
"Just An Islander", John

@JAKaprocki
" I was born and raised in Key West diving at 12.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Good for you ! born and raised in Key West- in 1955

I have been recognized as one who has speared a fish or two during my active spearfishing days
My personal best are;
* Yellow tail 27 pounds
* Halibut 38 pounds ( record for one year 1962- you were 7 years old )
* White sea bass 49 pounds
* Black Sea Bass 345 pounds ( Now protected since 1972 -you were 17 years old in 1972)
* Lobster 17 pounds ( on display at local dive shop)

What are your personal spearfishing best in your long term of ten (10) years of active diving with fifty (50) dives ?

I suspect I know - but the gathered masses of SCUBA Board members are probably eagerly awaiting your response.

Cheers from California - where it all began -Including American Spear fishing

Sam Miller, 111
@Akimbo
Not to start a fight, but Key West and Dry Tortugas were definitely union. The fort at Dry Tortugas was always a union controlled fort used to house confederate prisoners during and after the war, including Dr. Mudd, the man who treated John Wilkes Booth after his injuries.

Dry Tortugas was a coaling station when coal fired ironclads became a thing, and 2 prominent shallow spots are named for the battleships that ran aground on them, USS Iowa and USS Texas.

So while Florida may be located well south of the Mason-Dixon line, the keys are not now and never were really much a part of Florida. The Florida version of the Mason Dixon line is somewhere around I-4.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom