Underwater structure near Okinawa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Attachments

• HotDive_150.gif
    HotDive_150.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 445
ok all-- everyone has gooten my interest peeked....where in the Sunabe structure located at...I have dove there hundres of times and seen nothing. Seems like somthing I gotta see for myself.

Its out further than the normal dive, swim to the second reef. Or you can come with us to Yonaguni in Feb or Mar and see those.

Thomas, it is actually a series of structures anywhere from 100 to 200 meters out with a few out beyond that. All of the structures I've seen so far are between 50 and 70 feet below sea level. The structures that I've seen so far spread out on about 500 meters of sea bottom all together and I've got some sonar scans that indicate that they may go farther.

I normally use scooters to get out to it (maybe 4 to 5 minutes on the trigger - 10 to 15 minutes of swimming) to get out to it. The structure in the video is one of the more impressive ones out there. Send me an email (eric.m.gray@gmail.com) and we'll see if we can get you out to it.

These structures are not as impressive at first glance as the ones in Yonaguni are that Doug mentioned. The structures in Yonaguni are in a decent current and there is very little coral on the structures to break up the outlines. The ones off Sunabe are in a much lighter current area. The Sunabe ones are a lot easier to get to though!

This Modern structure is not far from shore off the Sunabe Sea Wall (100M) and it is a fun dive. I thnik it is an intake for the Water Treatment Plant. On my last dive there was 1000's of Baracudda.

Attachments

• IMG_4923.JPG
    IMG_4923.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_4947.JPG
    IMG_4947.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 191
Dove the modern structure(water treatment inlet/outlets) couple of weeks ago, I hadn't dove there since I first got on Island. Amazing how much healthier the reef is compared to almost 6 years ago.
The school of Barracuda's that hang out there is kind of cool too.

I think this is the mysterious Suzuki or Yamaha structure.

Attachments

• underwater structure.jpg
    underwater structure.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 8,356
iflylow, my sense of humor required me to post that picture.

Does anyone have new info on the structures that started this thread?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom