Underwater Towns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is an interesting thread. I started research last year on Pickwick Lake area on the TN river. At first I was interested in old paddle wheelers and have gotten some information to use this spring/summer to scout out. But as a side note, I found out that the town of Riverton was flooded and there is an old canal/gate system there also. The town is on the river maps, and is located north MS area about where TN river enters TN again south of Savannah TN. Going to be interesting to see if one can find anything diving these sites, Anybody else with TN river locations?

According to my buddy, there's a submergered town at the base of the dam in lake travis, outside austin, tx. He said it was 200 feet down. He keeps trying to get me to go, but I have to keep reminding him that he may be a rescue diver, but I only have 4 certified dives. Maybe next season.

In Norris Lake there is the town of Loyston also in Watagua Lake here in TN there is suppose to be the town of Butler if I am not mistaken.

Where I live the Resivor has 6 Towns in it. West Hurley, NY The deepest one is 587 feet deep. There is a video that they sell at the historian office on the towns.

Just wait for global warming to take full effect and there will be a number of them along coastal areas!

If you are into submerged cities, diving, and horror you might enjoy the book “Beneath Still Waters” by Matthew J. Costello. It’s pretty scary in a Stephen King sort of way. A reporter diver shooting a photo essay of a submerged town discovers it is haunted. The book was made into a film which just came out on DVD this week. The movie is pretty bad the book is pretty good.

Lake Jocassee in Salem, SC. Its the valley that was flooded in the movie Deliverance. There is a girls lodge at 325', cemetary at 130', stone bridge, church foundation or two and supposed to be a pickup truck somewhere. There is also a dive shop on Jocassee Rd going to the lake (www.offthewalldiving.com). You can get a lot of information on the lake, charters, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom