Underwater video editing software, which one is the best? Help me!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am using lightroom since a few months. Very good, especially for White balance

The one thing I really am surprised at and really don't care for is Adobe's hard to work with and strange pan and zoom feature for stills. Just about every other program even many of the free ones has this feature down, and easy to use and easy to apply and easy to manipulate. Premier makes this quite a nightmare to use.

I started with Vegas Pro a few years back, and found it extremely intuitive, and quite powerful....I also used the Cineform NeoScene( now eaten/reincarnated by/into GoPro Studio Professional), this so you can take the lousy 4-2-0 color space of the Canon 5 D mark II, and the h264 codec of it's mov files which are poor for editing, and then upsample to the cineform avi ( or cineform mov), in 4-2-2 or 4-4-4 color and 10 bit...The difference in results after white balancing or color corecting is amazing.....

Now I have switched to being anAdobe Creative Cloud member, and I use Adobe Premiere, along with Prelude, Speedgrade, and After Effects....and this also gets me Photoshop and Lightroom---and on two computers.....Even though I like Vegas, it can't compare with all the resources that Adobe now brings to bear with the CC account. As to learning curve, the tutorials are very good, and there is always Lynda.com :)

I've been using Vegas Pro myself and really like it. I still haven't learned many of the advanced features it's capable of. I had an older version of Premiere but found the interface not as easy as Vegas. If not for the cost of Adobe CC, I might consider Premiere but as a hobbyist it's a tad to much. I do subscribe to Lightroom and Photoshop CC, it's affordable.

Was searching for something for my grandson and came across this review of 5 free (really free not trial etc) video editing programs Enjoy

[video=youtube_share;bnR1iH3sVFw]http://youtu.be/bnR1iH3sVFw[/video]

Years ago I got a free copy of Pinnacle Studio. I tried it and liked the ease of editing. Ended up paying for upgrades to version 15 (ultimate collection). Then it got sold to Corel. After a fiasco with Corel Draw decades ago, I promised to NEVER support Corel with my money again.

So... looking for a new video program. Meanwhile I was getting into RAW photo editing, so purchased Adobe's Lightroom. I love it. As I wanted to play with panoramas, I decided to get the Photoshop/Premier Elements bundle. Just for fun I tried premier a couple of dives ago, and found almost as easy to use (for editing) as Pinnacle, and way better than Pinnacle with respect to saving options. Although I did find Premier a bit "quirky" at first, this has to be viewed in light of me being a many-year user of Pinnacle and not reading the Premier manual at all (typical, right?).

Anyway, I did the last 3 videos with Premier. I was going to do a comparison and decide, but Premier was good enough (and so much better on the save-to-file options) that I ended up removing Pinnacle from my computer.

I heard that iMovie for MAC has video stabilization feature, which I really need, but I can't rebuild all my home system from Window to Mac because of this .
All google search for "
iMovie for Windows" point to movavi, where I didn't find stabilization feature.
But for all other simple video tasks looks movavi can be not expensive and good solution.

I heard that iMovie for MAC has video stabilization feature, which I really need, but I can't rebuild all my home system from Window to Mac because of this .
All google search for "
iMovie for Windows" point to movavi, where I didn't find stabilization feature.
But for all other simple video tasks looks movavi can be not expensive and good solution.

Several programs have stabilization, Powerdirector and Nero to name a couple

Personally, I think the issue has a lot to do with whether you have any AMBITION of ever doing high end underwater videos.....and if so, you don't want to find your self severely hamstrung by your cheap editing software some months or years down the road.

An advantage of the Sony Vegas Platinum program..the one around $50 or $65 or so, is that it is very intuitive to learn, and quite powerful....but if you ever decide you have huge talent, and you have an opportunity to really do something with your videos, you can upgrade to Sony Vegas Pro....and you pretty much already know how to use it!!! The interface is essentially the same.
If you had been using a free or almost free video editor, and you think it will provide PRO level editing if you ever have the video quality and the opportunity.....you will be in for a big let down ... Getting a big opportunity could mean needing to get something serious together in days or weeks.......IF You had to start learning from scratch on a pro level video editing system like Vegas PRO or Adobe Premiere, you would need MONTHS to get good and effective......

Back
Top Bottom