Underwater videography -- What a challenge!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
TS&M, we must be linked telepathically. I too put the new underwater videocam into the water this weekend for the first time. I know understand why video greats like Wes Skiles, kneel, or assume very knees down positioning.

It was essentially impossible to film, while hovering, in trim, in 4ft of water. Just wasn't happening for me. The camera is slightly negative which didn't help. Slightly positive would have been far better.

I might try again at 20-30ft and see if it gets any better, but I just don't think I'm good enough in the water yet to make it work.

Slightly positive gets really ugly when you clip it off for ascent. Give me slightly negative any day (although maybe positive is easier to get a steady shot? Most of my shots are still not stable after 70+ dives with video cam)

limeyx:
Slightly positive gets really ugly when you clip it off for ascent. Give me slightly negative any day (although maybe positive is easier to get a steady shot? Most of my shots are still not stable after 70+ dives with video cam)
I have less experience than you, but I like the camera to be slightly negative as well.

JeffG:
I have less experience than you, but I like the camera to be slightly negative as well.

Yeah, but then it sinks all the way to the bottom when you drop it :D (a little inside joke)

What advantages does slightly negative have? And why would ascent make it an issue?

...just trying to learn.

riguerin:
Yeah, but then it sinks all the way to the bottom when you drop it :D
Yea yea yea. Yuk it up, surfer boy.

But I'm using my camera now. (Mind you...those are Nadwidny's video lights I was using)

PerroneFord:
What advantages does slightly negative have? And why would ascent make it an issue?

...just trying to learn.
Its Easier to hold "up" than to hold down. Its a more "natural" feeling.

and when you are not using the camera it hangs down out of the way, instead of floating into stuff. (I hang mine from the crotch ring)

JeffG:
Yea yea yea. Yuk it up, surfer boy.

But I'm using my camera now. (Mind you...those are Nadwidny's video lights I was using)

Looks expensive. Better hold on tight :wink:

So, what's the 2 canisters for ... one for video lights, other for dry suit heater :huh:

riguerin:
Looks expensive. Better hold on tight :wink:
Its an older Sony VX1000, so whole unit with lights ~$5,000

riguerin:
So, what's the 2 canisters for ... one for video lights, other for dry suit heater :huh:
On my belt?

Suit Heater, and my normal can light. The Can light is on and clipped to my right d-ring in case I need it to signal. (You can see it hanging down in the picture)

The two battery packs that drive the video light are attached to the bottom of the video housing.

The guy who was videoing with me last weekend has his camera clipped off to the right D-ring with a coiled elastic cord. When he was not holding the camera, it floated above him about a foot or so. Didn't seem to get in his way any, although I wouldn't want to be around line with something floating above me where I couldn't see it like that.

TSandM:
The guy who was videoing with me last weekend has his camera clipped off to the right D-ring with a coiled elastic cord. When he was not holding the camera, it floated above him about a foot or so. Didn't seem to get in his way any, although I wouldn't want to be around line with something floating above me where I couldn't see it like that.
<shudder>

To me that just looks and sounds all bad.

Well, in an overhead, it would be, but why does it bother you in open water, Jeff?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom