Underwater videography -- What a challenge!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
Well, in an overhead, it would be, but why does it bother you in open water, Jeff?
I wouldn't have two styles of rigs.

and sometimes, open water isn't open water. (line/kelp/other divers etc etc)

Lots of good advice as usual.
I am using an HC3 in an Ocean Images housing with light package. The camera with lights is slightly negative and I keep it tethered with a spring coil to a D ring around waist level. Fortunately I dive in Hawaii so I don't need all that "wetsuit heater" stuff
scubadrewatwork1.JPG

As an instructor, I am always obligated to assist divers of whether they are my customers or not. I have needed to ditch the camera on several occasions to "assist" a diver. My system hangs about 1 ft below my fins when I am vertical and it has never been in the way. Left the camera running one time while assisting a panacked diver from 100ft to the surface, video was lousy, but audio was spooky...you could hear the guy screaming the whole time.
I do have to be aware of my distance off the bottom and make sure the camera doesnt drag (clamped between the knees works well in those situations, and if you saw my previous post and have mastered that kicking technique then you can still take care of other issues on the dive).
All of my fine tune bouancy is done with lungs and serious breath holding. As long as you develop the automatic reaction of exhaling ANY time you ascend at all, then holding your breath to hold position is no problem.
btw, I have over 2000 dives with a camera and still have unsteady shots..sometimes s**t just happens.

It's not DIR approved, but a coiled lanyard is a videographer's friend.

Attachments

• ItemLrgPic2A19006.jpg
    ItemLrgPic2A19006.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 55
The Cetacea lanyard with Stainless carabiner (pictured above) is definitely the best tether for any system. I never recommend relying on it, but in an emergency, its nice to know you can let go and your camera will still be there!!

I use this exact lanyard on all of my systems, including my Z1U and it holds it just right

I'm sure I can rig up something suitable with cave line and snapbolts! :)

Question to all of you who shoot underwater. How do you monitor your image?? I am using a Canon ZR200 in an Ikelite housing and the viewfinder is SO small, I can't even see what I am getting edge to edge with the rig held nearly up to my eye. At arm's distance, it's just a "best guess". Anything out there to make this easier?

The camera I shoot with at school has a mirror on the side of the Ikelite housing so everything I view is actually backwards. Drives me up the wall....students moving left but it looks like they're moving right. :rolleyes:

I usually hold it out in front of me, staying in trim if I can. Really depends on the shot, the angle, and what the student needs to see when they review their own video.

I really wish I had a better shot of me filming, but I don't. This is a screenshot taken from a film segment that the guy who cuts video labeled "Chuck loves Chuck"...I paused filming myself in the mirrors between filming different students. :wink: Gotta see how I look, ya know...
It's taken head on. You can kinda make out the camera in front of me if you look hard enough. If you can't figure out which is me, then :p.
The funny looking 'double fin' on the left is the result of two mirrors coming together, in case you're curious.
The three students that you can make out are in a basic OW class working on hovering.

filming.png

Well, I just talked to somebody who wants me to video another class, and he wasn't happy when I told him what I was using. But he said he has access to several full-fledged video setups, and I can use one of those -- Why do I think that having done this may turn out to be a VERY expensive thing?

Just wait till you film something more interesting than students. Then you'll really get hooked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom