Undeserved hit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pufferfish once bubbled...

And for his Mexican 'dinner' after the night dive?

We didn't go out to dinner, since we didn't get back until 10 or so. He just ate a US-purchased Balance Bar.

Elaine

DivingDoc once bubbled...
Re: the SOB -- John's CXR was wnl except for what was probably an artifact in the RLL. Following treatment, his O2 sat was 98% on room air. So I doubt the SOB was due to bubbles in the lungs. It was probably on a non-organic basis.

Petra probably caused her ear drum rupture when she put her finger in her ear to scoop out the plankton that she thought got inside. This was on the ascent. She probably created a temporary vacuum and also increased the pressure differential between her middle and external ear, since she probably rose a couple of feet during the time that her finger was in her ear.

I've attached a download of John's dive data for the few days that he dove. It is in Excel format. You can get an idea of the profile.

It looks like he ascended a little fast, but did not go into the red on his computer.

Sorry this reply is so late, been away diving, and will be leaving again soon.

Unfortunately, not seeing bubbles on chest x-ray does not mean bubbles causing chokes do not exist. They are rarely if ever seen by chest film. The choke sensation is due to their effect on the airway, not the parenchyma.

The likelihood of maintaining a vaccum to rupture the ED is extremely unlikely, as failure to equalize is a painful event. If Petra was able to maintain the vaccum inspite of building pain, OR if the ED ruptured rather quickly, it suggests a foci of weakness within the ED.

Nevertheless, in the case of SIL, the viral illness alone may have precipitate a more rapid offgassing, but not enough to warrant neurologic symptoms.

In reviewing the profiles you attached, including the graphs, its clear to me that the neurologic decompression illness sustained by SIL is unexplained, i.e., its an 'undeserved hit' in terms of the severity. It helpful herein to consider a PFO evaluation.

Back
Top Bottom