Unexplored Cave Dive Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KentFrazier

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First, let me say that I’m asking this question purely for academic knowledge. I have no plans to put the information to practice (unless I learn something that can be directly applied to open water, i.e. non-overhead environments).

I’ve been thinking lately about dive planning, and noticed that most of the recreational divers I have dove with, don’t really pre-plan the dives. Those of us that use tables may check to see how much bottom time we are allowed at a certain depth, but that is usually as far as it goes. I'm trying t get into a habbit of doing more pre-dive planning.

From what I’ve been able to read so far, which I admit isn’t much, it seems that technical divers (wreck, cave, etc.) do a more thorough job in pre-planning their dives. For example, if I understand things correctly, if a wreck diver wishes to make a dive on Wreck A that lies at 190 ft. s/he would use their preferred deco planning software to pre-plan the dive including contingency planning. I’m sure this would be similar for someone who is diving in a known cave system.

My question is how does one plan for exploring an unknown cave system? If you don’t know how deep the cave is going to go, how do you account for that in the planning?

I may take a cavern/cave class in the future, just to increase my diving knowledge and increase my skill level, but at this point I have no desire to explore known caves, let alone virgin ones. I was just curious as to how the planning is done.

Also, if someone would kindly point me to some good resources I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Kent

good question Kent, mostly, caves are explored dive by dive. You go in have a look and dive within a certain plan. If the cave drops off to a section deeper or further than your plan, you come back another day with a dive plan that is adjusted to allow you to explore the (deeper/longer) section. It is the same as exploring anything really.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom