unintentional focus point changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kombiguy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Nikon D90 in an ikelite housing. I shoot manual, and I use the center-point focus. Every so often, though, seemingly of its own accord, it decides to go to area wide focus. I have been unable to figure out why this happens. Any hints?

Is the focus area knob susceptible to bumping? My D300 in Sea & Sea often has issues with buttons and levers rubbing on objects. Several times, I had the white balance button on one corner of the housing depress and twist, locking the camera until I discovered what it was and twisted back to release it. My c/s/m focus button has also gotten moved sometimes, putting the camera in manual focus and making it impossible to use. If it happens, try moving the lever settings back and forth to see if it cures the problem. Also check your shooting menu bank settings to see if you have accidentally set a preference to one of your buttons.

I would concur with Larry. I bet the button is getting bummed inadvertently causing the focus mode to get changed. The best advise I can offer for this is to continually check your settings to make sure nothing gets switched by accident. I have had all sorts of things happen while shooting that can't be explained, but it happens. So I routinely check my camera to make sure that everything is where it needs to be.

Back
Top Bottom