Unique diving apparatus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello All,

I have just applied for a patent on an invention for a unique diving apparatus. The prototype will be ready for the next DEMA show, and we expect the response to be even more encouraging than our last product. But you will be learning more about this new device very soon right here on Scuba Board. I am here to ask my friends for suggestions on what to name it. This innovative piece of equipment is sort of a cross between open circuit and closed circuit scuba. However, it does not operate the way a semi-closed rebreather works. Instead, it uses a multi-compartmented valve. The valve allows the diver to re-use exhaled air one time and then with the next breath it is exhausted from the system and replaced. Now, I know this method would not give the bottom time of a true rebreather; but, one would almost double the amount of time of the same air supply which is pretty significant. The cost of one unit will be very low when compared to a typical rebreather. Moreover, there would be few of the dangers and recurring expense normally associated with cc. No soda lime required, no finicky O2 sensors etc. Consequently, very little training would be necessary. Obviously, it would be prudent to activate this device only when at a pressure no less than 2 ATA to eliminate the possibility of hypoxia.

At any rate, I am not here to disclose all the secrets, only to ask for your input. In fact, whoever supplies the name I end up using will get a first run production model- free! But know this...due to it's three chamber design, I am considering calling it the WankeLung after the inventor of the internal combustion rotary engine. So you really need to put on your thinking/creative caps!

Help me out friends,

couv

Rats....only one bite on my April Fool hoax....you people are just too skeptical.

Maybe next year.

c

Hi Couv

Well it actually sounded to me just like a Pirelli regulator.
I will try to look for pictures and post them later. It was a very interesting idea/ contraption. My understanding is that it did work.

There is a lot more info on them in one of the vintage equipment message boards. I just can’t remember where.

Luis,

The idea of a 1 (or 2) breath re-breather/alternating breath re-breather came to me years ago and still seems like it could be a viable way to conserve gas; but, the rest (WankeLung…..etc) I was making up as I downed my morning coffee. But look out next year, I'll be promoting my underwater tri-cycle….

I will have to look into the Pirelli regulator….I just hope you don't say….gotcha afterwards.

couv

Take a look at this thread:
Vintage Double Hose :: View topic - From Italy

Here are some pictures:

Can you read items 1 and 2 on the brochure below?
DHR-PirelliExplorer-2.jpg

DHR-PirelliExplorer-3.jpg

IMG_PIR01.jpg

IMG_PIR0125-1.jpg

Wow...that is fantastic. But, I think I spotted some "caustic when combined with sea water" pellets in there though....the WankeLung has no such dangerous chemicals...

Thanks Luis....I have never head of this unit before.

Thanks Luis. I knew I had read about a similar device somewhere. You going to make SD VI ??

Wow...that is fantastic. But, I think I spotted some "caustic when combined with sea water" pellets in there though....the WankeLung has no such dangerous chemicals...

Thanks Luis....I have never head of this unit before.

Where are you reading that? …I don’t think that is the case.
Somewhere else I read a full description of its function and it is very interesting.
If you notice the exhaust is nowhere near the sensing diaphragm, which defies all hydraulic water column working logic. It can accomplish this with a cable inside the hose than restricts the exhaust in combination with the motion of the bellows diaphragm. The bellows diaphragm also functions as a small counter-lung. I don’t believe their in any provision for a scrubber. I think it just flushes a high percentage of the used air with every breath.

Now for the important question…are you going to offer yours for $79.95?

I prefer the Goodyear All-Terrain with the 200lb weight and the open valve system...hmm...I might be a redneck!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom