United plane change time needed in Newark?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I see United sells a ticket with only 1 hr 10 minutes time between arrival from Bonaire and departure to Florida. Is it likely that anyone would make it? I assume one must do Immigration and Customs in Newark? Any other hurdles??

Without global entry you will most likely not make it.

We just returned last week to Toronto via newark and by the time our luggage showed up (you must claim it and recheck even if it is tagged through to final destination) the line to leave baggage claim was over 20 minutes long and getting longer.

We have global entry so we walked to the front of the line. We had to change terminals which took amother 15 minutes.

There are a lot of factors that may come into play, and 1+10 is a very tempting connection but it can result in missing your connection if anything goes wrong.

Some things to consider:
  • What time of year is this for? (Is weather likely to cause any delays?)
  • Do you have a NEXUS / Global Entry (Trusted Traveler) Card? (Speeds up clearing Customs a lot, and if you are a Trusted Traveler, some airports offer expedited TSA clearance.)
  • What time of day will the connection be? (This will affect not only line-ups, but also if you want to try to grab a meal while you are trying to make your connection.)
  • Seat selection may be a factor. (With only 1+10 between flights, you don't want to waste 10 minutes or more because a seat in the back of the plane was $5 cheaper.)
  • Will your luggage be checked right through to your final destination, or will you have to get it and then recheck it

As mentioned above, without a NEXUS /Global Entry card, it will only work if everything runs flawlessly.

If you do have a NEXUS / Global Entry Card, then it is your call. Without it, I wouldn't choose this connection.

Bags will have to be claimed and rechecked. Even if they are tagged to final destination.

• Will your luggage be checked right through to your final destination, or will you have to get it and then recheck it

IME the only international flights where my luggage was checked all the way to final destination were the ones where my port of entry was my final destination.

Yep, an hour + 10 is way tighter than I like. Having done the one hour international connection many times, I've missed nearly half the connections. Two hours really makes me much happier.

worst that can happen is you spend the night in Newark, decide to go out somewhere to eat and get mugged or maybe killed. What are your choices besides eating in?

Bags will have to be claimed and rechecked. Even if they are tagged to final destination.
Not necessarily. Last spring, I flew from Provo to Toronto connecting through Miami. Bags were checked all the way through to Toronto and did not have to be claimed and rechecked during the layover in MIA.

IME the only international flights where my luggage was checked all the way to final destination were the ones where my port of entry was my final destination.
Sometimes they will be checked all the way through. It might depend on the airport and/or the airline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom