Universal Tray for Meikon: 1/4" Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevilEyeDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hopefully this is a quick question because Meikon swears only their underwater tray fits with their underwater housing.

I have a Sony a5000 with Meikon housing.
It uses a 1/4" thread.

I'm looking for a 2 handle tray to fit on it and, I'm pretty sure, I can buy something else so long as it has a 1/4" thread.

Thoughts? Has anyone else bought a tray that wasn't from the same manufacturer of the housing?

You should be good to go with almost any other tray.

The things you need to worry about:
- is the tray long enough "on both sides"
- some housings provide more than 1 screw point - do you need that?
- is there a mechanism to prevent the tray from "spinning"?
- are you going to hold the arm or the housing?

I hold my compact housing (not the arm) 1 handed and need a little extra room on the right side between the housing and the arm. A prior tray had a ledge that projected up behind the housing which prevented the tray from spinning when using only a single mount screw. My current tray has a very thin rubber strip on top and sometimes the tray spins a few degrees.

Super thanks giffenk! That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. Sounds like perhaps playing around with the housing first will give me an idea of my tray needs. Great thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom