Universities near caves (Florida or Mexico)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marine Science.

You might end up with lots of vacation and free time!!!! woo hoo a plus!
Disposable income for diving? Marine science/oceanography careers are often one of the lowest paying sciences

As a mid-late career 50yo working in environmental toxicology (my undergrad was in '91 and MS in '96) I can definitely vouch for how hard it can be to find a position filling your dreams, in a community where you want to actually live, with ready access to the natural/recreational amenities you desire in your free time.

PS I would say your marine science employment options from a Mexican University (at least in the USA) will be especially grim - the only plus being you will most assuredly be bi-lingual so for certain non-oceanography positions in bi-lingual areas you might have an advantage. Are you a US or Mexican citizen?

You might end up with lots of vacation and free time!!!! woo hoo a plus!
Disposable income for diving? Marine science/oceanography careers are often one of the lowest paying sciences

As a mid-late career 50yo working in environmental toxicology (my undergrad was in '91 and MS in '96) I can definitely vouch for how hard it can be to find a position filling your dreams, in a community where you want to actually live, with ready access to the natural/recreational amenities you desire in your free time.

PS I would say your marine science employment options from a Mexican University (at least in the USA) will be especially grim - the only plus being you will most assuredly be bi-lingual so for certain non-oceanography positions in bi-lingual areas you might have an advantage. Are you a US or Mexican citizen?
My ex wife is an environmental Toxicologist. She got one of those government jobs where she got to sell her soul. It paid OK.

If you like aviation, then Embry Riddle in Daytona would be my pick....ponce de Leon springs are about a45 minute drive..I went to ERAU, but despised Florida...nice place to visit....for a few days:wink:

Riddle was expensive when I was going there, I can't imagine how much it costs now.

More importantly, as a private pilot, all of the trade mags paint a grim picture of the economic positives of an aviation career.

Consider FIT, and you can learn to engineer the next generation of awesome dive gear!

More importantly, as a private pilot, all of the trade mags paint a grim picture of the economic positives of an aviation career.
It’s seems like a lot of money before you can “work for fuel” while working another job. That you need for 1500 hours before you can move from “work for fuel” to “I can live frugally just flying” is a huge issue. If you can make the next step to a major carrier it seems like pretty decent career, but each of those steps seems big.

if you can get the USG to pay for the first two stages it probably works better. But that has it’s own issues.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom