Unknown in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

designbysue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just returned from a great week of diving with Dive House in Cozumel (highly recommend them!) and have a number of critters I don't find in my books.

#1 Turned over this shell to find it's inhabitant munching on something.
IMG_2781.jpg

#2 Parrotfish? What kind (common names please)
IMG_2776.jpg

#3 What kind of coral or algae
IMG_2835.jpg

#4 Again what kind of coral or algae and it the seed pod like thing a seed pod or sponge
IMG_2837.jpg

#5 Another parrotfish?
IMG_2877.jpg

#6 A Chub?
IMG_3018.jpg

#7 Swimming above the sand - probably 15 - 18" long
IMG_3096.jpg

#8 Sponge? What kind?
IMG_3162.jpg

#9 Cool crab is a many pointed shell.
IMG_8929.jpg

#10 No idea at all.
IMG_8972.jpg

Thanks for any help!

I can only positively ID fish! #2 Redtail Parrotfish; #5 Stoplight Parrotfish; #6 Yes (Bermuda or Yellow Chub); #7 Jolthead Porgy with Brown Chromis.

Here are my ideas on what your fish and critters are.

1. May be a King Helmet conch. What did the shell look like? That is your
identifying factor, not the animal inside. Good shot of him having dinner.

2. Yellowtail parrotfish--initial phase

3. Some kind of coral--I am not so good at identifying these as there are so many varieties.

5. Redtail parrotfish--initial phase

7. Jolt head porgy

9. I think this is a blue eyed hermit crab. They are usually up to 2 inches.

We have the same and similar species in the Virgin Islands. I used Reef Fish
Identification--Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas and Reef Creature Identification by Paul Humann and Ned Deloach to identify your photos.

If you have photos of the conch, please post. I would be interested to see what
it's shell looks like. I tried to post a photo of one I have but I am a bit of a
computer dolt

Last edited:
Was this your guy eating?

King Helmet Conch.jpg

Was this the type of conch you turned over and found it was eating? This is a King Helmet Conch. They are usually 4 to 6 inches. This one is small, 3 inches. Someone had just eaten it so I snatched it up and added it to my collection of treasures from the sea.

Disclaimer: I never take a shell with a living creature and nobody else should either.

I hang my head in shame for not taking a pic of the top side. I got so taken by what it was doing. It was about 6 inches and was covered with "stuff".

I also have the Reef books but just could not find the posted pics (it was getting late when I was working on them so that could explain it somewhat).

Some of those bigger King Helmets are covered with lots of "stuff" and often look fuzzy. I was looking at the margins of the shell which show the same pattern of dark bars as my shell. It was interesting seeing him eating. I have seen a Queen Conch being eaten by a Horse Conch which was very interesting.

I am pretty certain you took a photo of a King Helmet.

10 looks like a lettuce sea slug - but it's hard to tell with no head showing.

based on the colouring of the bottom of the shell, I agree that number 1 is a king helmet

number 8 is two kinds of sponge; there's a red encrusting sponge with some kind of small tube sponge underneath

number 3 looks to me like a feather bush hydroid. If you touch it as you did number 1, you'd probably know for sure. :)

kari

I don' think #10 is a lettuce sea slug. I have seen those and this didn't look like one. It was much larger, much rounder and most of all it is fastened to the coral. On #8 is is the tube that I am most interested in as I have not seen one with some much detail. You might be right on #3 - no I didn't touch it, I know better!

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom