Unknown in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

10 - how large is it? and where did you see it? what site, how deep, what time of day?

8 - possibly a variable boring sponge?

did it look hard? or wavy... it looks like tiny separate units with a circular opening in each. true?

and what site were you at? i.e. where were you shore diving from?

No it was not hard - looked like a plant of some sort - moving with the water. Looked sort of like lace to me. (the thought of a lettuce sea slug sort of fits what it looked like but as you can see it is attached to the coral) We were somewhere near the Money Bar - just a bit north of Fiesta Americana.

I like the suggestion that #10 is a photo of tunicates. They appear to be fairly large individuals, each with stalk and oral opening. Since they attach to the substrate, the frilly cups probably evolved to guide & trap food as the water flows by. Whether these are colonial or simply together by accident is for an expert on sea squirts to say. I've never seen these. They're very pretty. Great find & shot.

Here's a couple of images zoomed in
Tunicates?.jpg
Tunicates2?.jpg
Its' so wonderful when you find something that is unusual - thanks for all of your input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom