Unknown triple fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish

Captain Happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1020089121109.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1010901121108.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Taken in Little Cayman, in 10 to 25 ft of water.

It is a triple fin...it does match any of the known members of the family I can find images of, it is fairly common, but difficult to get images of.

Anyone know the actual species here? As common as it was, I have to believe it is not an unknown species, particularly in a place that is covered with photographers.

I saw several others (and got some terrible images of them), and they all appear the same..single black spot at base of tail, and that very odd red color on the head.

Note: First image is adult, second is juv.

---------- Post Merged on November 17th, 2012 at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous Post was on November 16th, 2012 at 12:32 PM ----------

Well, if you look at the description in "A Field Guide to Coastal Fishes", these images are pretty clearly a redeye triple fin...there are no images in the Reef book and the smithsonian has a very different looking fish. Humm wonder who is right?

Back
Top Bottom