Unknown wreck off Va. Beach video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RAD Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This video is from Capt. JT, off his boat the Under Pressure.
1st part is the 1st ever dive in 2006, then 1/2 way through he switches to a dive in 2008. These dives were done at the same time of day, 1st has about 20-30 ft of vis & water temps in the 40s, 2nd 100+ ft of vis & water temps in the high 60s.
Oh did I mention it is at almost 300fsw.
YouTube - Unknown Shipwreck Exploration off of Va

Wow! The visibility on the 2nd half is wild! 300ft?

Any luck figuring out what it is? Did you get to take any still images of the wreck?

Did you find it using sonar? (Don't worry, I'm not going to compete)

Are there lots of local wrecks that have yet to be explored?

Hey there Ethan, I was not on this trip, slightly outside my limit at 285 fsw, but from what I understand JT gets some hang #s from a fisherman he knows with an approximate depth & he gets qualified divers (that he trusts)to go jump it.
They have yet to ID this wreck as the superstructure was either blown or ripped off in some fashion.
They are due to go back in the very near future in an attempt to ID her.
There are some wrecks out there waiting to be discovered, JT has some #s that are in close to 500 fsw, will take some serious planning for that.
But he also has something in the works in the 140fsw range & I am on that trip. Might be something or we might pay for a dive on some rocks or as the last time proved a Landing Craft the Navy stripped & dumped without telling anyone.
He does have some stills on his Website Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site but they will appear to be night dives as that depth is normally quite dark.
There is someone on this board that does run a Side Scan Sonar, finds interesting spots & calls a few lucky (yes I am thankfully 1 of the ones he calls) divers to go dive them.
Haven't found anything yet, but you must kiss a lot of frogs to hit that lucky 1.

Last edited:
Ah neat! I'm still dreaming of working on an open source (free) side scan sonar project... I think I get how to pick up the data from the pulses and get them into a laptop computer. The hard part (to me) seems to be the electronics to generate the pulse. In time!

I think that by using a high quality sound card, like the ones used for studio recording ($100 for a USB one) it would be possible to get bigger data sets from the scan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom