unsafe fin clasps in kelp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sander8

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last week, while diving in heavy kelp, one of my Atomic Aquatics Smoke on the Water fins came off. The very easy to use clasps that release the straps (same on the spring strap or conventional strap versions) was released when kelp wrapped around the fin heel area. Those of you who have these highly rated fins know how easy it is to squeeze the two levers on the clasps and slide them off the fin posts. It seems these are too easy to release.

In my accident, and yes I consider it an accident, the fin released right near the kelp holdfast on the brightly lit sandy bottom. I pivoted, retrieved the fin, donned it and proceeded with my dive. But my heavy dry suit rig and high lift wings in 52 degree water would have been very difficult to push around in low viz at depth with a lost fin. That would have been an emergency in current or surge or poor conditions on the surface.

I think that this is a serious design defect with safety implications. I appreciate the stiff clasps on my Twin Jets now.

A quick fix is to slip O-rings or use cable ties under the clasps so they cannot be compressed. For the spring straps this is fine. But it is not acceptable to do that in a $250 pair of top rated fins. It is most surprising considering that everything else I have from Atomic Aquatics is outstanding. Perhaps these clasps should be recalled.

I'm not trying to set off a big thread on this but think divers should be warned.

Last week, while diving in heavy kelp, one of my Atomic Aquatics Smoke on the Water fins came off.

It's hard to really blame any gear whenever kelp is involved. It's thick, it's grabby, it's unavoidable. You get exactly what you see. But kelp is a *great* reason to ditch the snorkel and go to spring straps, and it's pretty much what prompted me in that direction :)

I agree. But the clasps I am talkiing about are on the spring straps on these fins. Same clasps as the regular straps. So the problem doesn't go away. My ScubaPro Twin Jets also have spring straps from Trident. Those clasps will not come off in kelp. But you are right that kelp is a challenge.

I have about 50-60 dives around Catalina in the kelp ( I love to kelp crawl) since I got mine, and never had one come loose. The clamps don't feel any easier to unclip than any others that I tried. I also rarely use the clamp since the springs are so easy to doff & don. I have more of a problem with the finger loop part catching in the kelp. Just my $.02

Saw your post on OCDivingNews. Agree that strap clasps should not come off as easily as you described. I was surprised when the third party springs (good brand) on my Apollo Bio-Fins came off the first few times I wore them. I used the same solution you were considering... zip ties to keep the strap clasp bound to the fin post.

Last week, while diving in heavy kelp, one of my Atomic Aquatics Smoke on the Water fins came off. The very easy to use clasps that release the straps (same on the spring strap or conventional strap versions) was released when kelp wrapped around the fin heel area. Those of you who have these highly rated fins know how easy it is to squeeze the two levers on the clasps and slide them off the fin posts. It seems these are too easy to release.

In my accident, and yes I consider it an accident, the fin released right near the kelp holdfast on the brightly lit sandy bottom. I pivoted, retrieved the fin, donned it and proceeded with my dive. But my heavy dry suit rig and high lift wings in 52 degree water would have been very difficult to push around in low viz at depth with a lost fin. That would have been an emergency in current or surge or poor conditions on the surface.

I think that this is a serious design defect with safety implications. I appreciate the stiff clasps on my Twin Jets now.

A quick fix is to slip O-rings or use cable ties under the clasps so they cannot be compressed. For the spring straps this is fine. But it is not acceptable to do that in a $250 pair of top rated fins. It is most surprising considering that everything else I have from Atomic Aquatics is outstanding. Perhaps these clasps should be recalled.

I'm not trying to set off a big thread on this but think divers should be warned.

You're complaining that the "quick EZ release buckles" quickly and easily released?

:confused:

Yup. I kinda thought the release was for human beings to work. But it works even better than I thought!

Yup. I kinda thought the release was for human beings to work. But it works even better than I thought!

You will get the usual flippant replies from the usual flippant reply type folks, your OP is a good one and has merit.

Having the fin buckle open very easy seems to defeat the security of the spring strap system.

Atomic is a good and responsive company perhaps they will agree that the EZ buckle should not be so easy if a kelp bulb or strand will open it up.

Glad you had your fin back with no big problem. I've lost a fin or two over the years. Single sculling is no fun.

Back
Top Bottom