Upcoming Trip to CZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcohen1021

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
So… I just got back recently from a trip aboard the Aggressor to the Red Sea… We had an amazing time… There were 22 dives offered over 6 days including 2 nights dives… The count was 1 manta, 1 thresher, 2 oceanic white tips, 2 silkies and 4 hammerheads…

We have our 2nd trip of the season in October, which is to Cozumel… We were talking about the CZ trip the other night, this is how the convo went:

Me: Cozumel is only 3 months out… After what we just experienced @ Red Sea, do you think we’re going to be bored in Cozumel?

Her: Yep, I think so….

Me: No question, if we could eliminate the 34 hrs of travel time, we’d doing the same exact trip again…

Hmmmmm…. I’ve dived in CZ for 28 yrs, she’s dived there the last 7… Between us, we’ve pretty much dove all of the sites there are… So, I am wondering, what can we do differently diving wise to make sure it’s exciting?

here's what we did for our teen when he traveled with us...after the first half dozen times to Cozumel, he wasn't that enthusiastic...
so..
On a dive slate we made a list of a dozen unusual creatures to find, and gave it to him. He got a point for each one he found, and that we could photograph if possible.
It was a game, but it was addictive, and he looked forward to every dive, just so he could find everything. Before the trip, he would drag out our reef ID books and read about each one, and see what their habitat was, where to find them. It was really fun and we all got into it.. seeing who could find things first. Every dive was a scavenger hunt.

I keep telling myself that this is my beloved cozumel, my favorite island on earth... but the diving will be boring now after the red sea.

What less dived sites should I target? Keep in mind, 16 trips and over 300 dives, I have done just about every site an operator will take you, including the north end.

I think I’m up to 18 trips to Cozumel now, will be coming down in a few weeks, and have another trip planned. I’ve never been bored and have been to every site from Maracaibo to Barracuda, most many times, Islote on the east side, and unnamed sites on the east side. My focus has changed over the years and from trip to trip. The focus used to be big stuff, now my focus has drawn in to the smaller stuff. Unless the current is too strong, it’s usually a small critter hunt. A few trips ago, I finally learned where to find painted elysia and now I am looking for other slugs and nudibranchs. Some dives I spend lots of time looking for slender filefish, or juvenile spotted drums, or cherub fish. When there is sand, I look for those little crabs or baby peacock flounders. I could dive Dalila or La Francesca every day and never get bored. The same for many other sites. There is always something interesting to see and making the effort to find specific things has been very rewarding.

If you are looking for sites that aren’t dived as often, go with Aldora and see if you can get to the east side. We’ve done Islote by going around the southern end of the island when the whether is really calm. Sometimes Aldora can dive the east side during a norte. If you haven’t done Maracaibo Shallows much, that can be a very rewarding dive.

I keep telling myself that this is my beloved cozumel, my favorite island on earth... but the diving will be boring now after the red sea.

What less dived sites should I target? Keep in mind, 16 trips and over 300 dives, I have done just about every site an operator will take you, including the north end.
For me it's easy; I just won't go to the Red Sea. :D

But seriously, I don't see why diving there would diminish your enjoyment of diving Cozumel. Just because I get a great steak dinner doesn't mean that I no longer will like ice cream.

What about this special northwest Cozumel diving Aldora offers trips to for 'the very experienced diver?' I'm guessing that over 28 years you guys have already ferried over to the mainland to try cenote diving?

I've done neither of those, but if you're after something different, they're the ones I've seen mentioned.

Richard.

Eh... I think my friend must easily have over 300 dives at Devil's Throat alone and he still absolutely loves that dive. My log shows 71 dives at Paso del Cedral, but we still enjoy every dive there. We always see something new. My wife started diving in Cozumel in 1980 and she isn't bored yet. We tend to like peering into little crevices looking for things as well as flying along in a ripping current. I enjoy seeing megafauna, but I don't need mantas to have fun (though I'm still peeved about the time my wife and son saw a manta behind me in Cozumel but couldn't get me to turn around - I still haven't seen one). My friend keeps seeing hammerheads at Maracaibo, but they're always on vacation when I'm there.

I will say that we no longer dive every time we are on the island. There are other things we want to do. If you love the island but aren't feeling the diving at that time, there's lots else to do.

I guess it comes down to why you dive and what you like.

Hmmmmm…. I’ve dived in CZ for 28 yrs, she’s dived there the last 7… Between us, we’ve pretty much dove all of the sites there are… So, I am wondering, what can we do differently diving wise to make sure it’s exciting?

Ya kick back, relax and dive the sites as though they've become old friends during the day and then you extend your topside time/ventures further and further. 1/2 of our Coz fun is diving and the other 1/2 is topside venturing out further and further. After 15 years diving coz there is no shortage of places we haven't visited topside. Did you know Coz has a Cenote hidden in the jungle? I didn't as I assumed they were just on the mainland. Take your wetsuits, masks and snorkels and grab a tour to Chaak Tun. I intend to check it out for the first time this December.

For the price and convenience, repetitive dives in Coz sure beats any day in the office. For me it comes down to time and economics. There are fantastic places to visit but the airfare alone will cost us more to get there than an entire 2 week dive vaca in coz costs us. Those destinations reside on our retirement bucket list.

Last edited:
IF you haven’t dived the cenotes on the mainland, I highly recommend that. CenoteXperience Xperience will do three dives in a day (1 deep, 2 shallow). I have only been to Cozumel once but It was a letdown after the decades of hype (now that I know what to expect, I will enjoy my next trip more) but the Cenotes were a huge highlight for me. Some of the weirdest diving (in a GOOD way) I have ever done. I dove The Pit and two dives at Dos Ojos (The Barbie Line and the Bat Cave). There are quite a few to choose from and CenoteXperience is highly recommended.

What about this special northwest Cozumel diving Aldora offers trips to for 'the very experienced diver?' I'm guessing that over 28 years you guys have already ferried over to the mainland to try cenote diving?

I've done neither of those, but if you're after something different, they're the ones I've seen mentioned.

Richard.

The Aldora adventure dives are different, but several things have to come together to make it happen. You need enough qualified divers to make it worthwhile for Aldora to run the trip. Aldora wants to know you and see you in the water, so you really can’t just sign up for it as a one-day thing. And the weather has to cooperate. It’s pretty much a full-day commitment. You do three dives and don’t get back until later in the afternoon. I’m not trying to be discouraging, just pointing out that it’s not just a matter of saying “Hey, let’s do this.”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom