Updated Review: OrcaTorch D620

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Original Review: Review: Orcatorch D620

This review is a supplement to the original review written here. That original review was written after several weeks using the OrcaTorch D620. This updated review is written two years and quite a few (???) dives later. It appears in narrative form detailing events over the past two months. I was in contact with OrcaTorch continually after the first incident. We exchanged over 20 emails.

In my initial review, I expressed concern about the light control button. Instructions emphasized keeping it in the locked position when not changing the setting. That button is small, and over time I found it increasingly difficult to turn in either direction while wearing gloves. On a cave diving trip in Mexico in October, I could not get it into the locked position with my bare fingers after a day of diving. I put the light away in my gear bag and then charged the batteries when I got back to my room. When I put the batteries (all reading fully charged) in the next day, the light would not turn on. I feared it might have turned on in my bag and been ruined.

Back in the USA, as a result of discussions with OrcaTorch, I tested each of the batteries individually in a single cell light, and two of them would not power that light, even though the charger indicated they were fully charged. We concluded the batteries were defective, even though they had been charged only a fraction of the advertised number of charges they would take. I therefore purchased 6 more of those expensive batteries—two to replace the defective ones and four as a set of backups. The light worked with new batteries.

Our emails also discussed the button problem. I found I could turn the button with a pair of pliers, but I could not turn it by hand. I worked it back and forth many times with the pliers, hoping to loosen it up, but I still could not do it by hand. OrcaTorch had no suggested solution for that. They asked about salt encrustation, but the light had been used exclusively in fresh water for about 8 months.

I next used the light with brand new batteries on a decompression dive with a maximum depth of 200 feet. It worked fine. I charged the batteries and used it the next day on a dive to 240 feet. It worked fine until the shallower decompression stops, at which time I discovered that it only had two working settings—on and off. I shut it off. After the dive, it would not work at all.

When I opened the canister, I saw it was about half full of brown water. The canister had leaked. It had been screwed together completely, and the O-rings looked fine. When I contacted OrcaTOrch, they asked me to send a video of the canister with the water still in it, but I had foolishly poured it out before contacting them. I put the canister in water overnight, and it did not leak a bit. I can only conclude that the leak was caused by the 8 ATA of pressure on that dive.

Since reliability is a critical factor in a light like this, I won’t be using it again. Luckily, I still have two older canister lights that work fine, but I am now in the market for one I can trust.

using toys for serious diving :gas: ? and you are instructor :D
Pardon me (it may be because I don't know the OrcaTorch and don't know if it's marketed as a toy), but I have issues with this kind of snobbishness.

Yes, some products are lower priced and may not be as perfect as those carrying a higher price. On the other hand, the increased quality of some of the more fancy brands may well fail to defend the price premium (yes, Halcyon, I'm looking at you). Me, I've reached a stage in my life where I - within reasonable limits - can comfortably afford what I like, even if the price premium is bigger that what is sensible. But I still remember when I was a student, living on student loans. I definitely couldn't afford the premium brands, if it worked well enough and was within my fairly limited budget, that was good enough for me.

I think it's great that a seasoned diver, an experienced instructor, writes a review about a lower-priced product. Because his experience is invaluable for younger, less experienced divers.

As I understand upper article , OrcaTorch send a lamp to '' boulderjohn'' to promote their lamp . ''Boulderjohn '' is not just recreational diver , as I understand he has business
with ''Deep adventure scuba''. Now in that case the rules are stricter and he wants '' For me, the biggest issues with dive lights are durability and reliability.''

PS: I don't need to look on fancy brands Halcyon like you . I can buy it but my own lights works from now almost 8-10 years when I started ''candlepower forum '' just because I like some good DIY and did not want spent money for just a name.

PPS : there a way better brands like H ;-)

Thanks for the review.
It seems like I may have dodged a bullet as I was looking at the D630 for a while before and when it came out. The fact that I could not physically see one before buying turned me off to the idea.

I recently chose to get a great sidemount 2500lum can light, with a 3.5° beam angle, from Russia that a couple guys that I dive with have. It's a solid build without any bells and whistles.

Edit...added
Characteristics
Emitting element: 1 Cree XHP50
Light intensity: 2500Lm Beam angle: 3.5 degrees
Battery type: Li-Ion 5200mA / h Flashlight operating time: up to 4.0 hours
Canister dimensions: 210x59mm
Light head dimensions: 80x121mm
Working depth: 120m
Depth of inspection in hydro stand : 250m
Recommended retail price: 44 000 rub

I can confirm it burns 4.5hours at full power in 55°F water

there a way better brands like H ;-)
Of course there is.

Halcyon is the Audi of diving gear. So, price/performance-wise there are better brands. Like VW, or Škoda. But what you pay for - in addition to the price premium - is the bragging rights and the knowledge that even if you pay a bit too much, you're getting solid quality and a great user experience. Some of us can afford it and are willing to splurge on the price premium, some of us aren't. And it's all good, because each and every one of us should decide how we are willing to spend (or splurge) our money.

Thanks for the review.
It seems like I may have dodged a bullet as I was looking at the D630 for a while before and when it came out. The fact that I could not physically see one before buying turned me off to the idea.

I recently chose to get a great sidemount 2500lum can light, with a 3.5° beam angle, from Russia that a couple guys that I dive with have. It's a solid build without any bells and whistles.

Edit...added
Characteristics
Emitting element: 1 Cree XHP50
Light intensity: 2500Lm Beam angle: 3.5 degrees
Battery type: Li-Ion 5200mA / h Flashlight operating time: up to 4.0 hours
Canister dimensions: 210x59mm
Light head dimensions: 80x121mm
Working depth: 120m
Depth of inspection in hydro stand : 250m
Recommended retail price: 44 000 rub

I can confirm it burns 4.5hours at full power in 55°F water

Do you have a link to purchase this light?

using toys for serious diving :gas: ? and you are instructor :D

This is the worst kind of baloney! I mean, seriously! Complete bull poop.

Unless.... do you have a light that you dive with - for serious dives, of course - that is so reliable that you do not carry a backup of any kind?

If you don't, then you're saying you carry a light that you acknowledge COULD fail? The light John was testing (apparently) went over 2 years and numerous dives before it failed on him. So, what is the problem here (besides a total snob attitude)? I don't know of any light that is SO reliable that a competent instructor would dive it with no backup. Any light could fail. That is why we carry backups. If it had a different label on it and cost 5 times as much, and failed under the same circumstances, would you still call it a toy?

If the light were failing after 2 dives or the first time it went to 30m or something like that, then sure, it might be fair to dismiss it as a toy. In this case, "toy" only seems to be a snob judgment based on the brand name or the price?

I'm not trying to defend OrcaTorch here. At all. I'm simply rejecting this elitist attitude that an inexpensive piece of gear from China is automatically a toy or junk.

I'm simply rejecting this elitist attitude that an inexpensive piece of gear from China is automatically a toy or junk.
Well, you have to admit it's a rather plausible null hypothesis :D

Well, you have to admit it's a rather plausible null hypothesis :D

I admit there is plenty of inexpensive gear from China that is cheap-ass junk.

But, an inexpensive can light that held up to John's diving for 2 years before it flooded doesn't seem to really qualify as junk.

I have a few inexpensive Chinese cordless lights that have been flawless for longer than 2 years. So.... that's one little anecdote... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom