Updates for TDI manuals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rongoodman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know you've been updating your training material recently, and I like the newer versions that I've seen. Any word on new normoxic trimix and deco procedures updates? I'm taking a normoxic trimix class in May, and the current Extended Range Diving & Trimix manual is nearly ten years old, and pretty thin in the trimix section. Thanks.

I thought I'd seen a post mentioning that their deco procedures was in re-write. Don't believe a time line was mentioned. I concur.

Thank you for the compliment on the revised TDI materials. Currently the Deco Procedures is going through a revision, but likely, it won't be finalized before your program in May.
The Extended Range / Trimix manual is not listed at the current time for a revision. That may change later this year, but again, not in time for your training.

Hi Dennis,

I'm signed up for the Deco and Advanced Nitrox courses. In preparation, I just purchased (and read) what I thought was the Advanced Nitrox manual. If you're in the process of updating these manuals, as an experienced diver, quality writer, and incoming student, perhaps I can help!

It had lots of information about deco procedures, but by the end I was scratching my head because there wasn't a word about nitrox mixes above EAN 40. Looking again, the front cover is for the Adv Nitrox course but the text inside is for the Deco course, dated 2000 Rev1c. HUH?

So. That's a publishing problem, 'nuff said about that.

There are a number of glaring grammatical errors in the Deco manual. If you want the full laundry list please feel free to write to me. Given that some version of this manual has been around for 11 years or more, this oversight is puzzling.

Perhaps of more concern were a few misleading passages. Specifically:

1) P. 55, last paragraph, discusses air integrated pressure gauges. What you really mean to say is hoseless air integrated pressure gauges. As you know, there are AI gauges on the market that are not hoseless.

2) P. 65 third paragraph discusses P-valves, stating "Such valves are limited to male divers..." Uh, no. I believe the She-Pee has been around for a few years now.

Also, some of the photographs are getting rather dated. For instance, I don't think Dive Rite even sells the NiTek3 any more.

Anyway, this post is intended to be encouragement towards a substantial update of the Decompression Procedures manual. If you would like to send me the new versions of either the Deco or Advanced Nitrox manuals (PDF or MS-Word format gladly accepted!), I would be delighted to proof-read them for you and provide some private feedback.

Happy diving!

Glenn
Boulder, CO

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom