upgrade decisions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arcticat99

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
right now i dive with AT20 regs from apex,aqua lung pro hd bcd and a aqualung i300 computer all fairly expensive to upgrade.if you had to choose 1 per year to upgrade what would be your first choice and what do you recommend.

Like many on Scubaboard, I'm a big fan of the backplate and wing (BP/W) style of BCD - in my opinion, they're more comfortable, help you trim out a lot better, let you take a few pounds off of your weight belt, are customizable, have less points of failure, and are modular enough that you can just replace the faulty component if something does go wrong without having to buy a whole new BCD. If any of those things sound good to you, I'd consider switching over to one. A lot of people regard them as "a technical diver thing", but I switched to one after only two weekends of renting jacket-style BCDs as a new diver and have been much happier on the 50+ dives I've made since then.

Standard back-inflation BCDs provide also help with trim and comfort, so if a BP/W is too intimidating, I'd also consider upgrading to a decent back-inflation BCD.

If you'd prefer to stay with a jacket-style BCD, then I'd start by upgrading to a regulator with an extra HP port, followed by an air integrated wrist computer. I personally use a Shearwater Teric so that I can easily see my remaining air pressure by glancing at my wrist (though I do regularly cross-reference this with my SPG, just in case of the rare catastrophic failure). Air integrated computers also calculate your current breathing rate, and the amount of time you can spend at your current depth before running out of air, so they're quite nifty. If a Teric is out of your budget range, there are plenty of cheaper computers that will do a similar job.

BP/W and then maybe a Shearwater. I see you already have a dry suit. (It looks like your profile needs updating, though. Lots of travel to have less than 50 dives.)

BP/W and then maybe a Shearwater. I see you already have a dry suit. (It looks like your profile needs updating, though. Lots of travel to have less than 50 dives.)
actually not we like to cruise and my wife doesnt dive so pay off when we go to islands she goes and does land base excursions and i get o dive so i get 2 dank dives per island .so i get a taste of each area

Why do you need (or think you need) to upgrade? With less than 50 dives, you really should not need anything else.
my equipment is in very nice condition but its fun to upgrade .do i need to not really but do i want to what diver wouldn't lol .im up in canada so updating to a good coldwater set of regs is reason 1 ,everyone is talking about the comfort and fit of a wing 2 and all the dives up here are low visibility and you can read a oled puter way better than a backlit one these are the reasons for wanting upgrades

you mention local canadian diving in a drysuit, you need a steel backplate for that, it makes things much better. I would recommend trying to get a second plate for travel so you don't have to adjust the harness though, and you certainly will between diving naked and in a drysuit.
You can get a pair of plates, pair of harnesses, wing, and cam bands for about $500 below. They are top end. No need to buy any crazy name branded stuff as most of it is overpriced anyway. Deep6 is also a great option.
Store | Vintage Double Hose

You will benefit meaningfully from that upgrade. The other two are going to be relatively negligible on your current diving.

The coldwater regs depend on how much diving you'll be doing in the winter, but you can easily dive into the 40's with that regulator set. I have done several dives on the schools AT20's in the low 40's with no issues and our students regularly have open water training in the mid-high 40's with all sorts of cheap rental regulators. It's all about technique, particularly at the surface. No need to upgrade those unless you want to and/or find a deal locally.

Computer is going to be a want vs. a need, but if you travel I'd get the Teric. The form factor is better IMO and the screen contrast is astounding.

I think that is entirely depending on what you want to upgrade most badly and what items you come across at what prices. If you haven't already, start watching the used markets so you know what the prices at which things are actually changing hands. Now figure out what items you want & how badly, then wait & see how well "I want" meets "I have an opportunity to buy".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom