Upgrade Thermo Pro valves/manifold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HenrikBP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have Thermo Pro valves (with DIN-to-yoke inserts) and manifold bar on a set of doubles. The valves/manifold are probably about 5 years old. Is it possible to rebuild the valves and isolator valve to the new thermo specs of only 1 1/2 turn from fully closed to fully open?

If so can you recommend what parts/parts kits would be necessary?

Thanks,

Henrik

Henrick, did you ever hear anything about this. I have an older one that I am getting ready to clean in a month or so and I figured while I had it apart I would try to do the same thing.

Phil

Nope, not a peep from Thermo ....?

I emailed them and called and left a message around the same time. No response to anything.

I've always wondered why companies set themselves up with ways to contact them without a system in place to monitor and respond to questions. My thinking; if I can't get a reply from a company *before* I buy their merchandise, what are the odds of ever hearing anything back should I have a question or an issue *after* plunking down my $$ ... :wink:

Henrik

You could try calling Divegearexpress.com. They're good at answering questions and sell Thermo parts.
They'd also have a vested interest in the answer. Happy plunking.

You could try calling Divegearexpress.com. They're good at answering questions and sell Thermo parts.
They'd also have a vested interest in the answer. Happy plunking.

Good points Dave. Thanks. I'll give them a call and report the answers I get.

Henrik

Nope, not a peep from Thermo ....?

I emailed them and called and left a message around the same time. No response to anything.

I've always wondered why companies set themselves up with ways to contact them without a system in place to monitor and respond to questions. My thinking; if I can't get a reply from a company *before* I buy their merchandise, what are the odds of ever hearing anything back should I have a question or an issue *after* plunking down my $$ ... :wink:

Henrik

That amazes me too... It really makes me crazy when I do not get a timely response from a company..

Thanks for the heads up...

Phil

so .... I finally got around to calling about the possible valve upgrade. It took several calls and finally at XS Scuba I got the answer - which makes sense since they now sell Thermo valves ...

The answer is no. It is not possible to swap parts to get the new 1 1/2 turn open/close feature.

I also found out that I need 3 rebuild kits to service 2 valves and the isolator bar. Can't help but wonder if a careful review and cleaning of parts and swapping o-rings would do the trick.

Henrik

Can't help but wonder if a careful review and cleaning of parts and swapping o-rings would do the trick.

Henrik

I have done that several times. Honestly though I feel much better replacing most of the parts. The Teflon washers will be fine most of the time. The copper Crush washer really should be replaced but I have reused them a few times with no problems. You just have to make sure that you get it back in there the same way that it came out.

As a good alternative though you can buy the parts seperatly from North East Scuba Supply. The "Actual" rebuild kits come with a new valve seat that I personally do not think needs to be replaced. If you do not already have O-Ring kits I would either just order them from NES or if you want to order larger quanities it may be best to go with McMaster Carr.

Those little crush washers are fairly expensive but John at NES has the best price around by far. Other places that I have looked had them for $2 or $3 each.

Phil

I have done that several times. Honestly though I feel much better replacing most of the parts. <snip>

As a good alternative though you can buy the parts seperatly from North East Scuba Supply.

Thanks Phil,

That's good to know. I have a decent collection of o-rings and would just re-supply if I ran out. Also good to know that NES carries the individual bits. I'll need to find a diagram and some part numbers and see what I'll need. Of course if you happen to have an annotated diagram or a parts list with o-ring sizes and such that'd be great :D

Henrik

If you scroll down the page here you will see a parts breakdown of the Thermo valve. There is only 4 O-Ring sizes in the manifold.

010 - That goes on the valve stem
012 - That goes on the barrell of the isolator
214 - That goes on the threads that screw into the tank
112 - That goes on the DIN insert if you happen to have 200 bar convertable valves.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom