Upgrading AL DA Aqua Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richard, the clips are easy to remove and I suggest opening that question on the vds forum. In any case sometimes they can be resued, as well, vdh made like a million of them before he came out with the wonderful reproduction band clamps which are infintily more preferable. I use a pair of end cutter pliers to grip the clips and then with a downward rotation, off they come, easy peasy.

The good thing about the Phoenix conversion is it does nothing to actually alter the base regulator that prevents it from being returned to a full original and authentic condition. The other great thing is that aside from adding about 0.5 inch to the assembly overall length it essentially is invisible when used WITHOUT any LP/HP hoses installed, just cap the ports.

N

BTW, how do you remove the clips that hold the regulator housing together? Can these be replaced with a clamping band during the upgrade process? Somehow they don't look like they can be removed and reused.

Check your file

The circlips can be removed by grasping and pulling with a small end cutter. The clips can be replaced with a clamp.

You are already getting very good advise.

I recall a great thread about removing and installing clips (with many good pictures) at VDH or VSS or both. You can probably do a quick search and find many great threads with very good information (all three of this web sites ScubaBoard, VDH, and VSS). Have good built in search engines.

Most of us hated the clips and replacing them with body clamp rings is one of the most useful upgrades.

Congratulations on your purchase and have fun with it.

Here's one :D :
Vintage Scuba Supply Community Forum - BOX CLIP R&R SUGGESTIONS

However, if you aren't into the retro experience (sounds like that's not your bag), then you might as well cut them off and use a band clamp, or pry them off and save them or give them to someone who can use them. They can be reused several times before cracking.

What they said. :)
Of all the upgrades the band clamp has got to be my favorite.....which reminds me, I just installed my last one..time to reorder.

Actually, even if you are interested in keeping a purely vintage geometry, the band claps where available as an option in the 60's and I think I have read that even in the late 50's US Divers where offering them as an option.

My impression is that most divers didn't bother with the upgrade, since most divers didn't service their regulators as often as we do now-a-day.

This regulators are tough and the can go for many years without service if you rinse them properly and don't allow water inside the first stage.

Fresh water inside the can is OK and sometimes you do want to rinse the inside of the cans. Sometimes the mouthpiece valve do allow a bit of water to leak back. In this case you can rinse by just removing the intake hose, but a much better job is done by opening the cans if you have a band clamp.

Have fun

Prying will usually damage the cans or boxes, whatever you prefer to call the houisngs. Placing a scewdriver or similar farm implement under the clip and prying against the cans will damage the cans. Some people don't care about things like that. The end cutter I suggested grasps them tightly, then you just roll them off. To put them back on you first need to spread them slightly, OK, now get your screw driver. Then going back on, place them evenly around the can and then working around the can, squeeze them with a medium size vise grip---a tiny bit each pass--until the cans are evenly compressing the diaphram edge. Do not squeeze all at once or place enough force to deform the cans. Or, just get a band clamp.

N

Prying will usually damage the cans or boxes, whatever you prefer to call the houisngs. Placing a scewdriver or similar farm implement under the clip and prying against the cans will damage the cans. Some people don't care about things like that. The end cutter I suggested grasps them tightly, then you just roll them off. To put them back on you first need to spread them slightly, OK, now get your screw driver. Then going back on, place them evenly around the can and then working around the can, squeeze them with a medium size vise grip---a tiny bit each pass--until the cans are evenly compressing the diaphram edge. Do not squeeze all at once or place enough force to deform the cans. Or, just get a band clamp.

N

I use and recommend the same technique. The only variation is that I use a medium vise grip wrench (to grip the sides of the clips) instead of the end cutter. I use it in the same fashion. Just grip the clips tightly and rotate them off. It works great.

Pete's web site has a nice illustration (with pictures) of a PRAM upgrade.

Nice resource, Thanks Pete

At VDH we now have a section just dedicated to the Phoenix.
Bryan asked me to gathered all the old Phoenix related threads and I moved them to that section. There is a lot of good information and some of the short history of its evolution.

Also at VDH there is an area dedicated to technical threads where any technical posts are collected for future reference.

Back
Top Bottom