Upgrading AL DA Aqua Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These are some tools I made to deal with clips.

Attachments

• Shaped and polished jaws (Small).JPG
    Shaped and polished jaws (Small).JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Clip removal pliers.jpg
    Clip removal pliers.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 65.jpg
    65.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 129
  • clip install.jpg
    clip install.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 130
  • removal tool (Small).JPG
    removal tool (Small).JPG
    33 KB · Views: 73
These are some tools I made to deal with clips.

Very nice!

Richard

OK, the regulator works! I had a chance to try it in the pool today.

It is apparent that my Deep Sea Supply BP/W isn't going to work. The LCD 30 wing has the elbow centered and given the size of the bladder, there is no way to use the DA Aqua Master.

I have an old SeaQuest ADVi jacket style that MIGHT work. I'll check tomorrow.

So, with modern BCs or other BP/Ws, what seems to work? I don't mind buying another rig if I can get it to clear the can. I know I can buy retro harnesses and horsecollar BCs but I suspect there are better choices.

Richard

OK, the regulator works! I had a chance to try it in the pool today.

It is apparent that my Deep Sea Supply BP/W isn't going to work. The LCD 30 wing has the elbow centered and given the size of the bladder, there is no way to use the DA Aqua Master.

I have an old SeaQuest ADVi jacket style that MIGHT work. I'll check tomorrow.

So, with modern BCs or other BP/Ws, what seems to work? I don't mind buying another rig if I can get it to clear the can. I know I can buy retro harnesses and horsecollar BCs but I suspect there are better choices.

Richard

DSCF0181.jpg

DSCF0179.jpg

DSCF0250.jpg

DSCF0213.jpg

DSCF0171-1.jpg

The DSS wing with the centered elbow does not work well with a single hose much less with a double hose. Oxy Cheq is preferred. BTW, no BC, as in none, nada, zippo, works just fine.

N

There are a couple of problems with modern BC. The biggest one I find is the tank straps are too high so when you correctly place the reg the tank is close to falling out of the strap. I sometimes dive mine with an older Zeagle Scout. It does a fair job and the straps are close to low enough. The other major problem is the fit of the BC. It should be snug and fit close to your body so that the tank and reg stay as close as possible to you, jacket style BC are almost worthless for this reason, they tend to fit way too loose. You can do what a lot of us do, forget the BC all together. Once you get your weighting correct there is really little need for it. If you have an AL backplate that may work, just remove the badder or get yourself an old style packpack. Plenty of the around and you can still buy them new.

Got my 1958 DA/Royal Master wet for the first time today, looks great with it's new yellow hoses and mouthpiece. Another vintage reg returns to diving.

Nearly scared a poor young DM to death on Bonaire this year diving this way. For some reason he thought no BC would kill you. Photo by SB's Gypsyjim.

Attachments

• bonaire-08-003.jpg
    bonaire-08-003.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 107
EVERYONE knows that if you jump in without a BC you are gonna DIE!

I miss the days when instructors taught proper buoyancy and weighting.

With a BP wing you usually have the option of mounting the tank lower (single strap near the middle of the plate or STA) than on many BC's and the shoulder straps themselves can be addjusted longer to allow the plate and tank to go lower on your body.

As Nemrod points out, there are several wings around with offset elbows that work great with double hose regs.

I'll try to post a pic of what I use later tonight.

Thanks guys! The information is greatly appreciated.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom