Upgrading Equipment To Scubapro - Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aburns84

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I am upgrading my Scubamax equipment set to Scubapro. I went cheap since I wasn't sure if I'd stick with scuba diving plus I am a 2XL guy and fit can become an issue when renting gear onsite. I'm kind of spoiled with my current setup which was a full loaded jacket bcd, a balanced high performance 1st stage with swivel, balanced 2nd stage with air flow and vent., plain octopus, and plain gauges with compass.

Going into this new round of gear I want to go Scubapro since it really was the gear I wanted at the beginning and I like the features and look. LDS wise I'm kind of restricted a bit since most shops around here only service one or two brands. I know Oceanic, Mares, and Atomic are great brands but the one shop that services nearby I've had repeated bad experiences with so that kind of leaves me with our local Scubapro shop. I'm going to want something travel friendly since I dive lakes during the summer and on our yearly cruise I'll dive whenever scuba diving is offered. I'm planning to go back inflate this time around for extra comfort, less bulky, and to help a bit with my horizontal position (not that it is a huge problem now after taking my ppb class) but I need something with storage options as well as enough weight pockets so I can use up to 24 pounds as I am a 2xl guy and my weight fluctuates. I am wanting to move up to an wireless air integrated computer. Regulator wise I want something high in performance as well as something that should last me 10-20 years with proper care and maintenance. I kind of want a swivel on the regulator but not required.

At the moment this is my gear list I've found that should fit the bill but there are questions.

1) BCD - Hydros Pro w/Air 2
It has the thigh pocket for storage of my camera and smb, loops for my light, and a bracket for my knife when I am lake diving. Seems to be very comfortable, packs easily, and durable.
My alternates are the Seahawk and Glide X. Glide X is still tempting since I am used to jacket bcds and looks extra comfortable.

2) Computer - Oceanic OCi
This seems to be the best computer for my budget of about $1000 (it would be ebay purchased since I can get it new for $200 cheaper w/transmitter). I can replace the battery myself and very user friendly.
Alternate - Scubapro Galileo. It's nice don't get me wrong but it is an older computer and bulky. I do like the compass better on this computer and if I get this with my other scubapro gear I get parts for life. Here's the rub the shop charges $75 for computer servicing it. If I pay for parts it is $20-25 for first and 2nd stage each and $20 for a battery kit for both computer and transmitter on ebay for the OCi. Kind of a wash but I do have to change batteries every year with the OCi so 90 vs 75 at the worst every two years.

3) Regulator - MK25 Evo S600
Definitely overkill but I like the swivel, chrome on the 2nd stage, and highly highly rated. My lds kind of talked it down due the swivel o-ring and it wearing out quickly and being a point of failure. I read a few posts and most mention never having a problem with the mk25 swivel. The one post I found on here seemed to be assembly related where the o-ring was getting pushed out and it was bought new. I don't really want to go over $800 for a regulator and even with something this nice you do wonder if I am overbuying for 64 degree and up water.
Alternate - MK21 S560. Very plain looking but no swivel and from what I read it is a travel friendly and compact version of the mk25 and s600. Just a smaller piston but same overall performance. There is a part of me that is tempted to get the mk21 and s600 but that would make it cost about the same as a mk25 system with s600.

Other parts I am upgrading are kind of due to the setup above. Had to get a more compact light so I have options to store either on the weight pocket loops or in the thigh pocket. I picked up the fusion 530 light. Not really required but I found a steal on a mako titanium knife that fits the above bcd and synergy 2 mask. I also plan on getting the seawing nova fins since even though I love my bio fins my feet sink a little bit and I've heard amazing things about the seawing fins.

Any thoughts on the above equipment or if I should look at something else? I know..... I drank the scubapro kool-aid. :)

Planning on buying in February once I know my tax refund amount.

About the BC-
I have dove the Hydros, and it's amazing- unparalleled free feeling. The monoprene sticks to your body, actually kind of hard to get it to want to come off! I have a ladyhawk, (women's version of the nighthawk) great BC, love it. But the Hydros is something special. The glidex is a jacket BC where as the other 2 are back inflate- you want a back inflate.

well this is going to sound like Scubapro bashing, but it's really not. They just don't represent good value in the market in my experience and opinion.

1-the hydros pro I think is overpriced and overrated, and the AirII is not going to save you any weight, convenience, or bulk. The hydros pro is $900, plus the Air2. At your size and with that lead requirement, I would consider a Deep Sea Supply backplate for $500 which will last longer than the Hydros pro *there have been a lot of reports of them ripping*, and save you $400. Tobin is a regulator contributor to this forum, and the quality of his gear is second to none. The hydros pro is nice, but it's horrifically expensive and the durability is not there.

2- unless you are bound to the watch form factor, I'd take some of the money you saved from the BC, and put it towards a Perdix AI. Infinitely better computer, and only $200 more.
Cave Adventurers - Perdix AI - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

3-no offense, but your LDS sounds like a bunch of idiots. There is nothing wrong with the swivel on the MK25. The MK25 will require some diligent rinsing when you are travelling though as it is unsealed and I'd consider going to a sealed diaphragm, but nothing wrong with the MK25/S600. What regulator do you have now, and why do you feel the need to upgrade?

2) Computer - Oceanic OCi
This seems to be the best computer for my budget of about $1000 (it would be ebay purchased since I can get it new for $200 cheaper w/transmitter). I can replace the battery myself and very user friendly.
Alternate - Scubapro Galileo. It's nice don't get me wrong but it is an older computer and bulky. I do like the compass better on this computer and if I get this with my other scubapro gear I get parts for life. Here's the rub the shop charges $75 for computer servicing it. If I pay for parts it is $20-25 for first and 2nd stage each and $20 for a battery kit for both computer and transmitter on ebay for the OCi. Kind of a wash but I do have to change batteries every year with the OCi so 90 vs 75 at the worst every two years.

I would definitely consider the new Scubapro G2 before I would even think of the OCi. The other two great considerations will be the Shearwater Perdix AI and the Ratio iX3M. OCi should NOT even be a consideration when the other three mentioned computers are available.

My lds kind of talked it down due the swivel o-ring and it wearing out quickly and being a point of failure.

This is just TOTAL ignorant BS, no such problem or concern at all, NONE!!! The SP MK25 has been one of the best performing and most reliable first stages out there.

At your size and with that lead requirement, I would consider a Deep Sea Supply backplate for $500 which will last longer than the Hydros pro *there have been a lot of reports of them ripping*, and save you $400. Tobin is a regulator contributor to this forum, and the quality of his gear is second to none. The hydros pro is nice, but it's horrifically expensive and the durability is not there.

This isn't true at all, the part about ripping. There was a minuscule issue with shoulder straps in the first batch of the BC's that was corrected and these straps were replaced and there are no issues whatsoever with the Hydros at all now.

The DSS bc mentioned is indeed "cheap" and that it is, cheap!

Last edited:
@BurhanMuntasser what is your "cheap" commented based on? Have you owned or used one?

Experimented with one and decided not to buy or own cheap bc like it. I have several of my friends who are highly experienced divers/instructors who owned it and had the same opinion.

I did the same thing, bought mostly entry level equipment and have slowly upgraded over the years. I just upgraded to the MK 25 EVO/s600 combination and have been very happy with it. I can't say it is "night and day" better than my Hog Edge that I started with, but it does seem to breath easier. I believe that the Scubapro EVO series are environmentally sealed. You might check with Beaver Divers in Denver, they had the combination on sale for $350, used...but serviced and shipped at that price.

I second the Back Plate and Wing advice. The beauty of a BPW is that you can set them up to be EXACTLY how you want them. D-rings, weight pockets, utility porckets, big wing, little wing, stainless plate, aluminum plate, Kydex plate, no plate(Transpac), comfort harness, 1 piece strap, shoulder buckles, etc. the list and combinations are damn near limitless. My personal favorite is a DiveRite Transpac and Venture wing. (Not sure they make the Venture anymore) the lack of the plate is insanely comfortable for me. I also have a Hog Al Backplate/Hog 23# travel wing, and Transplate harness. It's only slightly less comfortable, and both dive amazing. Since you want something that will last, but have the ablility to change as your dive preferences, and possibly weight change, the BPW option can be modified to your tastes as needed. I have quick release weight pockets and utility pockets on mine as needed. Dive Gear Express and Piranha have great selections of hardware to set everything up.

Deep Sea Supply has more Backplate options than anyone else and seems to be the top of the line choice. Hopefully Santa's elves are working on a long plate for me. As a frequent contributor to these forums, they deserve a look. I'm all for supporting my LDS, but price, quality, and availablilty will make my purchase decision.

Computerwise, I love my Oceanic Pro Plus. It's the only piece of my original equipment that I have not upgraded and has been bulletproof. Big numbers are important to me and I'm not a huge fan of wireless.

I also have Air2's on both of my wings....and a regular Octo on my regs. The inflator is always easily found and having that extra breath available while you find your Octo, donate your primary, or whatever is just extra piece of mind. I would not want to finish a dive on an Air2 since they are kind of awkward to breathe off of, but it's a nice option to have.

Good luck with your choices. The research is by far the worst part.

Safe travels,
Jay

On the MK25 o-ring comment that seemed a stretch. I spent most of the night researching the issue and no other comments really. Just people asking if it was ok and then 5-6 pages of it works flawlessly. I think I know why the comment was made. In the e-mail I sent to the LDS I mentioned if there would be any deals or if my service costs would increase if I bought online. They completely skipped the online questions and didn't recommend which regulator I should pick. Just mentioned the swivel leak since that was the most expensive regulator I mentioned. Originally I was looking at a glide x, mk11 c350, and the oceanic and now between the mk25 evo s600 and hydros I kind of added an extra $600 to my total. TBH I will probably buy the bcd and reg set from the lds just so bases are covered but all the accessories and fins will be amazon, leisurepro, dolphin, or ebay since they won't be maintaining any of that gear. Probably lp so I can return it easily if fit is an issue.

As far as replacing my current regulator it is kind of mixed bag. My current lds (wlll be changing) has basically added an extra $40 to every visit. $40, $80, $120, $160. The regulator system was a little scuffed up since it was used during OW class and I got the whole bcd, guages, and regs for $600 (can't complain at that price) but for over half its life I've had issues with free flowing on the second stage and the last time I used the primary it leaked a little bit. Do I need to upgrade, no. It probably just needs a different pair of hands on the regulator but since I am upgrade to a back inflate and air integrated might as well get a compact, new, and trustworthy regulator while I am at it.

Go for back inflate

Regulatorwise the mk25 is excellent but it's not sealed and hence will require more rinsing/cleaning, look into the Apeks xtx50 with DST it has a swivel and costs less for the same performance. I would not recommend an Air2 as it will not really save you much in terms of bulk but is a pain to use in an emergency, Alec pierce has a good video describing the pros and cons of Air2s on YouTube I recommend you look it up.

Experimented with one and decided not to buy or own cheap bc like it. I have several of my friends who are highly experienced divers/instructors who owned it and had the same opinion.

as a textile engineer who makes a living designing and manufacturing performance textiles for things like aerospace composites and ballistic vests, as well as being an experience technical diver and instructor, we will have to agree to disagree.

@Aburns84 there is no real maintenance to be done on bp/w's fwiw. Nothing really to service and you can do the inspections on your own....

Back
Top Bottom