Upgrading from a Rec Kit to a Tech Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vinsanity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
With every wreck dive I do, I think... I really want to go inside! I'm trying to better understand the necessary financial investment to enter the tech diving world with the goal of being properly equipped and trained to penetrate wrecks probably no deeper than 150' in both cold and warm water. I definitely want to stand on the flight deck of the USS Oriskiny and do some Great Lakes wrecks.

• I was already shopping for a dry suit because I live in Oregon and I'm done with cold water wet suits.
  • I already know my Aqualung Axium is not suitable for dual tanks, so a back plate and wing are in order.
  • I read that you should have "high end" regulators, but no discussion about where that bar is. I have an Aqualung Core Supreme 1st & 2nd stage. Are these suitable at least for my backup set? Or should I plan on 2 new regulator sets?
  • I have an Aqualung i200. Someone who I can't vouch for their credibility said that's a fine choice for back up, but should get a proper tech watch as a primary. Is that a fair assessment?
  • I'm a little concerned about the tank situation since a lot of my dives are while traveling. Are there places that rent twin tanks or would I need to travel with them, which doesn't seam reasonable? Maybe I'm just not searching hard enough.
For instruction, I found an SDI/TDI instructor that I really like. So I will probably take Intro Tech, Advanced Nitrox, Deco Proceedurss, and Advanced Wreck from him. Obviously not all at once, but this is all something I plan on structuring over time.

Just trying to add it all up to see if I should abandon the plan and stick with rec and just dream about the inside. Thanks.

Shearwater for primary. I prefer the Perdix. Others like the Teric. I like the larger Perdix display.

As for tanks when traveling, it all depends on where you travel. Some areas might not support tech diving at all.

Your regs are not suitable for tech diving. Make it easy on yourself and get a doubles set. Check out DGX or Deep6. You’ll need a deco reg, as well.

Think about adding Helitrox to AN/DP. Doesn’t add any dives and just some bookwork. Cost shouldn’t be much more than $100 more. Plus gas costs, of course.

And one more thing - are you physically able to handle the weight of doubles? I tried and knee issues made sidemount a necessity. I have no idea of your age, but if you already have back/knee issues, you should consider sidemount. Also add shoulder issues that would prevent you doing valve drills with doubles.

Your regs are not suitable for tech diving. Make it easy on you and get a doubles set. Check out DGX or Deep6. You’ll need a deco reg, as well.

Oh, forgot about the deco reg. I assume my reg will be fine as a deco reg since it will be used shallower, and I'll get a pair of matching tech-quality regs.

Thanks for the other advice too.

Oh, forgot about the deco reg. I assume my reg will be fine as a deco reg since it will be used shallower, and I'll get a pair of matching tech-quality regs.

Not sure about this. Deco regs must have all oxygen compatible parts.

Maybe, maybe not. Ask the instructor. Some are rather particular on kit used. Also it would need to be O2 cleaned.

And before you go buy stuff off our recommendations, have a talk with your instructor. They should help you walk through what you need. Not cool if they expect you to just show up with everything they want without having a discussion about what they want you to have. There is a bit of variation between instructors. For the most part it comes out the same in the end, but getting there it can make a difference. For example my instructor had a couple sets of doubles and ran me through them before going out and picking up parts that might work.

And before you go buy stuff off our recommendations, have a talk with your instructor. They should help you walk through what you need. Not cool if they expect you to just show up with everything they want without having a discussion about what they want you to have. There is a bit of variation between instructors. For the most part it comes out the same in the end, but getting there it can make a difference. For example my instructor had a couple sets of doubles and ran me through them before going out and picking up parts that might work.
Yeah, I almost added to the end of the post that I'm not actually going to buy anything most of that list until I've taken some of the TDI classes. Just trying to decide if this is a pipe dream or not.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom