Upgrading from Go Pro 6 to go pro 7: is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't upgrade if you already have the 6. If you're purchasing new, I would go 6 if you will only use it underwater, but the 7 if you plan to also use it on land. At some point you may want to take advantage of the HyperSmooth stabilization and other features. Both use the same battery and Super Suit housing.

Definitely get a tray and handle system so you can hold the camera steady.

I wouldn't upgrade if you already have the 6. If you're purchasing new, I would go 6 if you will only use it underwater, but the 7 if you plan to also use it on land. At some point you may want to take advantage of the HyperSmooth stabilization and other features. Both use the same battery and Super Suit housing.

Definitely get a tray and handle system so you can hold the camera steady.

Yeah the 7 was my first go pro and I thought really hard about taking advantage of the new low pricing on the 6 but went with the 7.

A grip is a must. I got the Go Pro 3way for use on land and in shallow water ( any depth where I won’t use a light). I like it because of its flexibility; great for land use, build in tri pod, can be used as a selfie stick and fairly cheap.

Then I spent some money on a pistol grip and really nice light. I went with this set up because I can use most of it when I move into a 2 light tray set up later. I got all of it from Bluewater, there customer service was great.

Kraken 2500 Macro light
ULCS Pistol Grip for GoPro w/Clamp
ULCS AD-SS - Sea& Sea Strobe Adapter SHORT

Makes for a simple one hand set up that can be easily clipped off to my BCD.

The light is nice and heavy so when I use it with the GoPro on top in a swim through or something it acts as a counter weight to keep the rig steady.

Back
Top Bottom