Upgrading my trusty RX100 for Olympus mirrorless. Any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsnyder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After several years of pleasurable use of my Sony RX100 M1 I'm thinking of making the leap to mirrorless with an Olympus EM1 M2. I like carry on size and have heard great things about the body itself. The shop offer includes a simple 14-42mm lens and an add on WWL option (unit in Nauticam housing). I also have CMC2 from previous setup for macro use.

Questions: should I expect quantum leap in overall operation/complexity? I plan to take a formal class w/purchase.

Any advice on whether "pedestrian" main lens + wet lens add ons is a better (or at least comparable) solution to multiple higher end lenses and ports? I'd hate to make this $$leap and be dissatisfied because of this detail.

I use the OLY PLN series. I have the 14-42 and bought a 60mm macro which I love. You can probably use that in the Nautical housing without an extra port. At least I can use both in the OLY housing (which is cheaper than the Nauticam.)
I switched from an old Canon G10, so I don't know how different the Sony is. It took me some getting used to. I finally went to Cathy Church's photo fest and she helped with the set up. Basically I shoot on manual and adjust the aperture for distance. The strobes I use can shoot TTL.

There are several really good guides for setting up your M1 for underater use; for example Best Underwater Settings for the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II Camera. Searc around, you'll find others.
The 60mm macro lens is VERY good, if you are a macro buff and muck diver. For occasional macro, the add-ons are fine. The CMC is particularly good.
I don't know which 14-42mm you have; there are two. the IIR kit lens Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 II R [oly.V314050BU000] - $299.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros, and the EZ III Olympus M.Zuiko ED M.14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ III [oly.V314070BU000] - $199.99 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros. The latter is very short, uses a short port, and works really well with the WWL-1.
The 60mm does not work in the same port as either 14-42 lens; it needs its own port.
For reference (my best shot at the numbers/sizes!):
14-42 IIR: Macro Port 56, #36136
14-42 EZ: Macro Port 29, #36165 (you can add a 17mm extension ring #36617
60mm Macro: Macro Port 65, #36163. Also fits in the Macro Port #36161 for the 12-50mm Macro EZ lens
30mm macro: Macro Port 45, #36135

I have the EM-1 MkII, don't know how it compares with the RX100 as i have not used one. I can say the EM-1 MII is very snappy with AF and the on board IS also does a great job. The answer to your question I think probably depends on what you are shooting typically. If you do macro mostly then the 60mm macro does a nice job. With a bit of care you can select one dome to take a number of lenses, for instance the Zen 170mm dome will allow you to use the 12-40mm and Pany 7-14 in the DP-170-N85 II. There are also extension rings available to allow you to use different lenses. I seem to recall you use one of the 14-42 ports with an extension ring to take the 60mm macro. There are also the 30mm macros from both Oly and Panasonic.

If you let us know your preferred shooting style and if it's clear tropical or other we may be able to guide you better.

Are you committed to going to Olympus?

The Sony a6500 in a Fantasea housing is getting very good reviews and will give you a larger sensor (APS-C) than an Olympus (Micro 4/3). It might be worth taking a look at.

Back
Top Bottom