Upgrading new-in-box 'circa year 2000' Atomic Aquatics B1/T2 requlator--make sense?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi folks,

....goin' to Bonaire July 19-26th......usually dive Poseidon Odins (and sometimes Mares MR16 Voltrex) ...and was told by one of our trip leaders (who is a actually a big fan of the Poseidon Cyclon) that perhaps it wouldn't be a good idea to expose Odins to the sandy conditions of the typical Bonaire shore dives.

I remembered a some time ago I'd purchased a NIB Atomic Aquatics B1/T2 with T2 octo ( E-Bay) and the postmark on the octo box says Jan, 2001.....so I think I bought this unit late 2000 or early 2001.

I've never dove an Atomics reg (other than a bit of buddy breathing @ 80 ft. a year ago @ Blue Hole, Santa Rosa, NM during Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures class) ...but I seem to remember it being a very soft, subtle breather......probably not surprising compared to my Odins.

I'm considering taking this reg to Bonaire......due to the 'sand issue'...and the fact I'm hoping to reduce my air consumption such that if I'm 'stuck' diving single AL80's in Bonaire, I'll be more competitive with the rest of my group in air useage.....my air consumption is a bit on the higher side.....and I'm hoping the Atomic reg might help me improve air useage.

After reviewing both Scubaboard and the Aquatic Atomics WWW site, here's what I'm thinking I want to do:

1) upgrade both mouthpieces to the new generation OEM versions.

2) upgrade one or both hoses to the new generation 2nd-stage swivel versions ( stainless @ $75 each/titanium @ $125 each)

3) install the new generation 'M1' 2nd-stage exhaust-T on the primary 2nd-stage.

4) install a ScubaPro yoke-adapter for Bonaire as pretty much the only tanks available are yoke tank valve AL80's.

(my unit is a DIN B1 1st-stage/ with environmental kit already installed...which is exactly what I want on a piston 1st-stage exposed to a salty/sandy environment.)

5) possibly have the dealer do a performance check on the unit.....it's been sitting in an air-conditioned closet shelf for maybe 3 years....zero usage, but could the O-rings be dried out?

Any thoughts on the prices I might expect to pay for the various 'upgrades' I have in mind? .......is a model year 2000 unit otherwise pretty much the same as a brand-new model, or, even after some 'upgrades', would I be missing out on some major techological advances since the year 2000?

Thanks,

Karl

Scubafanatic

Here are some thoughts on your post.

1. I didn't like the new mouthpieces so I switched them to the Aqualung comfobite. I would also choose the Scubapro mouthpiece over the Atomic. The bite tabs are very thick and I developed jaw fatigue while using them.

2. I have an M1 that I put the swivel on and it works great I love it. It takes an already comfortable reg and makes it unbelievable. This also works quite a bit better than any swivels I have used in the past.

3. As far as I know the extended M1 exhaust tees only come in black/gray or black/highvisyellow I hope this matches yours. The bubble interference is non existent as compared to my ATX 200.

4. Yoke adapter is a must.

5. The manufacturer recommends a 2 year interval so it's probably best to get it checked out.

Sometime since Atomic came out there was a design change that had something to do with the piston/seat in the first stage. Don't quote me on this but I think they changed the seat or piston to help prevent 1st stage creep. You might check on this as I am not sure what year this happened. If you don't have it already I know Atomic offers upgrade kits which would improve your 1st stage reliability. Maybe someone else will see this and give you more info.

Respectfully

Gillty

Hi Gillty,

I'll likely go with the SeaCure mouthpiece...I've had pretty good luck with those...I like a mouthpiece with LONG tabs...gives me something to hang on to. :)

I'm sure I'll go with a swivel, at least on the primary 2nd stage...maybe go for the titanium version, make it a little more comfortable, lighter.

My primary 2nd stage is gray........so the black/gray M1 exhaust T will work just fine on that.

I'm definitely getting a yoke-adapter....I likely go with the ScubaPro version...I really like those.

I'll definitely get the dealer to do a once-over check out on it...got in touch with Larry over @ Scubatoys.com today...he'll check it out while he's installing the other modifications.....but he didn't seem to think the upgraded piston was really necessary, so unless we discover a problem we probably won't bother with that...apparently some 1st stages 'whistled' a bit, so Atomic issued a new piston to 'fix' that.....but it doesn't sound like there's a safety issue involved, so unless I discover an annoying whistle while diving I save some money and skip that.

Karl

Sounds like you got everything under control. I hope you like the new reg set up. I have really enjoyed my M1.

My girlfriends new B2 whistled a little. We took it in, they lubed the piston o ring and it is very quiet now. Hers is the new version.

Have fun in Bonaire

Gillty

Thanks Gillty......yeah, I'm really looking forward to Bonaire...it will be my 1st trip there....got a few new toys to play with down there (new canister light, new Dive Rite Dual Rec Wings, new Oceanic DataMax Pro Plus computers, Halcyon SPG, Apollo Bio Fins-Yellow, etc.)......so I'm getting set for a memorable week in divers' paradise! :)

Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom