upgrading - thoughts on g series - refurbished options.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been had a nikon p5100 for years now (something like 9) - it still takes good pictures, but I am looking to upgrade and use as much of my old equipment as possible (inon strobe and 35 mm wet macro lenses and wide angle lense).

I have friends who have the older G series (12-14) - did the GX series replace them (starting up where the G 16 left off)? I am trying to figure out what is a comparable higher end point and shoot (obviously with full manual controls) - and hopefully a reasonably priced housing - not sure if the available housing taking the wet lenses I have.

I get confused because on the canon site the higher the number the less expensive - which makes me think I am looking at the wrong cameras - (G9x cheaper than G5x)
Canon Refurbished Powershot Digital Cameras | Canon Online Store

Thoughts

Yes, the older G series (G14, G15, G16) are now done and essentially replaced by the GX series. In Canon's new numbering scheme, a lower number is higher end, similar to their SLR line (excluding Rebels).

For underwater, the main choices are the G5X, G7X, and G9X. The G7X came out first and now has the Mark II out. They all feature the same 1" sensor so all will have the same image quality. The G5X has more manual controls and aimed more for the enthusiast. The G9X has only a 4x zoom rather than the 5x zoom of the G5X and G7X and is therefore more pocketable, but has less manual controls.

For underwater, I would suggest go for the G7X (now in Mark II), as all the major housing manufacturers are on board with housings.

thanks - do you know if any of the housings are compatible with my lenses?

I think I answered my last questions - looks like the ikelite housing does accept my let lenses - I had the diameter wrong - it is 67 mm - any reason to buy the mark II if I can find a better deal on the g7x? What other manual controls would the 5x have other than PASM (I know canon uses different terminology), WB, and ISO speed?

G5X compared to G7X has an electronic viewfinder, hot shoe (good if you want to use electronic connections for your strobes rather than fiber optic) and 3 control dials rather than 2 (so in manual mode, you could have one dial each for ISO, shutter speed and aperture). However, I believe only RecSea and Ikelite have housings (I could be wrong so you may wish to do your own research).

G7X Mark II vs original G7X has a faster processor so can shoot faster bursts, has a larger RAW buffer, and slightly better battery life. This may or may not be important to you so yes, you could save some money by going with the Mark I.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom