upgrading to Rx100 m2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver2fun

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently shooting a canon s100 but I'm not really happy with my wide angle results. I'm using a Inon H100 28M67.
Some pictures:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fbmm3vyb3orljh/IMG_3094.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/195vadu9b139wbv/IMG_3087.jpg?dl=0
I was hoping for more sharpness, especially considering the price of the lens and extra weight on the dive...

Would upgrading to the Rx100m2 be a good idea? It has way better wide angle from what i've read.

On the other hand, the Rx100 m2 is already a few years old and it has only average video, worse than the latest Gopro imo. And macro isn't that good...

Or should I continue using my s100? I don't have many oppertunities to use my camera, mainly on holiday, so my shootings skills are not that good.

Thanks in advance.

If you haven't seen it already, google the term "interceptor121" and have a look at his blog. He dove extensively with the RX100M2 in '13 and '14 and thoroughly reviews his experience with it, with included images and videos.

I think I already read all of his articles twice now :) but thanks anyway.I still have many questions, for example I have two Ys-01 strobes, can these be used in manual flash mode with the Rx100? I'm reading conflicting reports about this. I don't really like TTL, at least not on my s100.Another question, Interceptor uses a flat h100 for video, I'm using the h100 + dome for stills. Does the flat lens give a much better footage compared to the flat port? I'm not really into disassembling the lens duringa dive trip, and buying a second lens is not an option.

I recently purchased an RX100M2 with a Nauticam housing and single Inon Z240 for it (in fact, I'm assembling a rig quite similar to Interceptor121's). If your YS-01 strobes are able to "ignore" the camera's pre-flash and fire at the proper time, there is no reason they should not be able to be used in manual mode with this camera. I think the main reason Interceptor121 didn't shoot video with the dome attachment is because the Deeproof UW red filter can't be placed over the lens in a domed configuration. He had many issues with getting the camera to accept a manual white balance at depth, but he found that shooting video with the red filter and the camera set to "auto" white balance gave nice results. Shooting without any wet lens would make the 28mm equivalent lens behave like a 35mm lens underwater, it would be your decision if that is acceptable or not. In any case, it sounds like you would want to shoot through a UW red correction filter for video.

Back
Top Bottom