Upside down regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ever since I switched regulators from my diaphragm style to my SCUBAPRO MK25 Piston style, I have found it uncomfortable to hold my second stage in my mouth. The piston hangs so far below the valve that the regulator hose raps around (and below) my shoulder. That puts “a lot” of torque on my jaw to continually "bend" the hose from that point to keep it in my mouth—and then it is never straight. I have never had this problem with any other reg I have ever used. As a fix, (after trying every possible low pressure connection location) I flipped the first stage upside down and that lifted the low pressure regulator hose high enough that the torque issue has gone away. I just can’t imagine that the engineers at SCUBAPRO designed it that way? So.....am I an idiot that I need to do this? Am I the only one who has ever had this issue with their SCUBAPRO piston regulator? Is there something I am missing? Thanks.......

Try using a bit long miflex hose, they are way more flexible and it is a simple and inexpensive solution. Just a thought.

This is an older thread, but for anyone coming across it.. I have one of the older Mk V's that only had a single HP port. So I dove it with the reg pointed down for 20 years, though I'm 6' and would have been more comfortable pointed up. Now I've got a transmitter and it just doesn't matter. I put it onto a 9" HP hose with a quick disconnect on the end and it sticks out towards the right now, but no issues with reception.

I'm 6'4", and I had essentially the same problem with my Atomic T2, even with its proprietary 2nd-stage swivel. Pointing the 1st-stage turret up instead of down took all the strain off my jaw.

I much prefer canting the regulator over to flipping it upside down. Sticking it at a 45* ish angle works really well and sends all of the hoses in the right direction

I mount mine "upside down" when in backmount. Doesn't seem to affect my hose routing, but it sticks out a little less and is slightly less of an entanglement hazard. I use a 45 degree adapter with a regular second stage. Switched to an xs swivel when I went FFM for the primary second stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom