Upstate NY newbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikedeuce13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Newbies to diving as well as to the board. My wife and I were OW certified this past April 08' and we've thought of little else since then. I'll probably lurk around and get acclimated to the board before I start asking questions that have probably been covered ad nauseam. But there is one question that pretty much consumes me..........how to cope when you can't be in the water. I mean, we are water people........swimming, sailing, snorkeling, surfing etc. So diving was the next step, and we ask ourselves now why we didn't do it sooner. The drawback is that now we are even more bummed out when we are away from what makes us feel whole. I'm sure that sounds strange, but we really feel empty without the ocean being near.

Anyway, I don't mean to be a downer. We're here to learn and share and maybe fill ourselves up a bit on the experiences of others.....Thanks.

Mike and Melissa.

Welcome to Scuba Board Mike and Melissa. I'm new to diving as well, got certified last year.

Have always considered myself a vacation diver but am now considering quarry, lake and river diving just to get more bottom time and more practice.

It helps to plan another dive trip immediately after returning from one so you'll always have something to look forward to, at least that is how I'm coping with the dry gills.

I even seriously considered moving to Florida just to be able to dive whenever I wanted to but must think about how to fund my dives if I move south.

Hi Mike and Melissa.
When I finish one dive trip I usually start thinking about the next one. That way I always have something to look forward to. And like ScubaSamantha said, you can always hit the local quarries, lakes and rivers.

Hi -- I am new to the Scuba board, but have been diving since 1996 -- the way I cope is to have a beautiful screen saver and surf the net for travel deals and pictures -- I do a lot of day-dreaming -- much to the dismay of my boss -- hang in there -- Cindy

beautiful screen saver I do a lot of day-dreaming -- much to the dismay of my boss -- hang in there -- Cindy

i always put a picture from last dive trip as a screen saver, whether it's a huge sea turtle, or palm trees, or my current one which is a bull shark picture i took in costa rica. it's not a great professional shot but at least i can tell everyone who asks that i took it. then they'll ask where and i can talk diving to them.

and yes, daydreaming helps to...shhhh don't tell the boss, how else would i fund the dive trips....shhhhh!!

Hi ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...

:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:
banana.gif

Well ... now you can say your "REAL DIVERS" that's what happens! So, look for some fresh water sites to dive, join a Scuba Club, work harder and take more vaction time! It's hard isn't it?

There is lots of fresh water diving to be had around the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario. The St. Lawrence is a relatively short drive and there are charters to be had.

There are a Few Dive clubs that will offer some I belong to the Auburn Skin Divers Association. We are very active and always welcome new divers.

Welcome and enjoy.

Hey......thanks to all for the responses and positive vibes. We're trying to make room in our busy schedules to explore the diving in this area. We know there's much more to diving than warm blue water. We have also been planning our next dive vacation, however the skyrocketing airline costs and outright elimination of flights have left us real leery of booking too far in advance.

It's a good problem to have though, no? Trying to find time to dive?

Thanks again.......
Mike.

Yeah, we have some of the best wreck diving in the world in our backyard. And to the fresh water does not eat your gear for lunch and its really great.

Drive on up to Buffalo and do a Niagara river drift dive. Its fun to tell people because they think of Niagara falls and think your nuts. Now is the best time of year to do shallow dives, the surface temps are in the 70's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom