Urchin cull approved for Monterey reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wnissen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I got an email from the Giant Kelp Restoration Project today saying that a volunteer urchin cull has been approved for Tanker's Reef (just east of the Municipal Wharf #2). It would start in March 2021 and be coordinated with Reef Check California. I'm very pleased about this. The idea is if the initial cull is successful in allowing the kelp to regrow, then it could be implemented in the Marine Protected Sanctuary.

They are looking for donations of supplies and volunteer time at Giant Giant Kelp Restoration Project - Home

(I'm not involved with this project, though I hope to be!)

I just watched the informative video and finished reading the project plan. I just signed up for the newsletter to keep up with updates and I'll see what I can do to help. I'm down in SoCal so that will limit me on the number of days available.

Agreed. I see hundreds of purple urchins ....
If the purple ones (not reds) had more 'edible' parts to them, it would be just like our Fla lionfish and you could eat and sell them. Unfortunately there isn't much value in the purple ones. I thought the Cali sheepshead nibbled on them?? Maybe increase the sheeps head numbers.

If the purple ones (not reds) had more 'edible' parts to them, it would be just like our Fla lionfish and you could eat and sell them. Unfortunately there isn't much value in the purple ones. I thought the Cali sheepshead nibbled on them?? Maybe increase the sheeps head numbers.
I've seen them crunching on them on video but I don't see too much Sheepshead around Monterey. More of a Southern California thing, I think.

Just got a followup email from the folks at Giant Kelp Restoration Project, they are starting to pre-register divers who previously signed up for the mailing list! Pretty basic questions, one that was a bit puzzling to me was the number of dives < 60F / 15.5C. I track the temperature on every dive and had to exclude a number of dives in Monterey that were too warm. None of my Southern California dives counted. I assume they are looking for folks who have experience with heavy hoods and wet/drysuits, and I don't see anyone diving hoodless in a 5mm in Catalina. I am not 100% committed to attending since I want to confirm their Covid precautions (no indoor anything is my criterion right now) but it is very exciting.

Culling urchins?

Those poor children!

Wait... you mean the sea critters?
If you're worried about the urchins, wait until you hear that you need an approved hammer to bash their little bodies!

Sad that we actually have to cull a species to safe others(the kelp).

Thats how bad it is...
We humans destroy everything.

Culling the sea urchins is the best we can do now, i understand. I just want to point out how far this all went. Whole eco systems just die..

And the media is all about totally meaningless news and which star had a baby or kissed whatsoever..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom