URGENT Advice needed on Mares Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harley1962

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I manage a Dive Resort in Indonesia, and sadly one of our Guests arrived with his Mares X-Vision Medium skirt mask broken (frame was shattered) and the mask no longer seals.

The issue is that he used prescription lenses in this mask, and the only Dive Shop in my area has one X-vision Liquid Skin (regular skirt?) mask...IF we buy that, can the lenses from the broken mask be installed into this "new" mask....meaning, is the FRAME SIZE compatible between Mares "normal" and "mid/medium" skirt masks....

If YES--then we are set--I assume it is easy enough to take out/put in the lenses..?

Thanks,
HB

Yes you should be able to interchange the lenses. If using a good removal tool it is relatively easy. Just be careful not to crack the frame when removing the lens retainer.

God luck!

Thanks for the reply Zak--although my Guest finished his diving today (he luckily brought along a back-up prescription mask) I DO appreciate your taking the time to reply!

It shows attention to detail and commitment to superior customer service on your part-Mares should be proud to have you as an employee!

And to reply so soon after DEMA is also commendable...:)

In any case, the information is good to have for future reference--many of my divers use Mares masks/regs etc...and now I have positive feedback to pass on to my Guests also!

Regards and safe diving!

Harley

I recently purchased a mares mask and sent off to have lens installed, and they put another set in the mask on top of normal clear lens. i hate this. where can i buy a mares high quality mask and have them install in main lens my prescription?

thanks

I recently purchased a mares mask and sent off to have lens installed, and they put another set in the mask on top of normal clear lens. i hate this. where can i buy a mares high quality mask and have them install in main lens my prescription?

thanks

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand how they installed a lens over our stock lens, must have been a stick on film? Anyhow if you like, drop me a pm, let me know where you live and I will recommend a few lds close to you. Any Mares dealer has the capacity to install the drop-in corrective lenses we offer. If you have a stygmatism then you are looking at custom ground lenses which can be made by a handful of optical businesses. A LDS should have someone they already work with.

If you are set purchasing online I can also suggest a short list of those that should be able to help.

Best,

Last edited:
By on top of, you mean glued to the original lenses? Some places will grind actual lenses that replace the glass in a mask, but grinding lenses that are then bonded to the existing glass is also a common way to do prescription lenses and there should be nothing wrong with it - what is it you hate? If they messed something up you should probably contact the people that did it.

The lenses from the manufacturer that pop in and replace the original glass only come in a series of basic diopters. Custom ground is the only way to get your exact prescription or handle special needs such as astigmatism, bifocals, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom