URGENT LIFE AND DEATH Missing Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bay Island Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
A boat has been missing from Roatan for over 24hrs. Last seen evening of May 10th. 1 Person on board.

Here is a copy of the email I have just received.

"He was last seen on Sunday May 10th - afternoon in the west bay area of Roatan.
He was fishing on a small catamaran. He didn't have a cell phone and we're assuming that the engine went out and he's drifting. We've been told that he would probably be drifting south by southwest towards Utila or towards the coast of Guatamala, Nicaruagua or Belize.
Any suggestions of people to contact in those areas would be greatly appreciated and please let other boaters and dive groups to be on the look out for a stranded boater.
Thanks for any help."

Last edited:
He sent me a few more details too, shocking story so far

Thanks for your reply.
He was last seen on Sunday afternoon in the west bay area of Roatan. He was fishing on a small catamaran. He didn't have a cell phone and we're assuming that the engine went out and he's drifting. We've been told that he would probably be drifting south by southwest towards Utila or towards the coast of Guatamala, Nicaruagua or Belize.
I'll send an email to the marine park as well.
Any other suggestions of people to contact in those areas would be greatly appreciated and please let other boaters and dive groups to be on the look out for a stranded boater.
Thanks for any help.
Ed

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 12:00 AM, calvin crane > wrote:

can you give us more details please contact the marine park as they will be of greatest help

> Subject: Roatan Diving: missing in Roatan
> Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 17:45:07 -0600
> From: edunsavage@gmail.com
>
> This is an enquiry e-mail via Roatan Diving Resorts and Vacations from:
> Ed Dunsavage <edunsavage@gmail.com>
>
> Hi
> My brother went missing yesterday, May 10. He was out fishing in a small boat and has not returned. He's been gone over 24 hours. Please let anyone in the area who is diving to keep their eyes peeled for a small boat in distress.
> Thanks
> Ed
>

Here is a link to a picture of the man in question and the boat he was on. Via Twitter: Joseph Dunsavage Sr missing since Sunday, west bay beach, Roatan, believed drifting toward Belize or Guatemala. Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter

You newbies need to study weather and geography!

When the the wind is E....ESE ....you end up in the lower Belize Cays....NW

When there is a norther ..... you end up in Trujillo....S...SW

Anyone that goes to sea in an outboard propelled vessel is begging for instant expedition.

Go to Google Earth to get geographically oriented.

The sea is a cruel and unforgiving Mistress who gives the exam first and the lesson later!

:cool2:

Anyone that goes to sea in an outboard propelled vessel is begging for instant expedition
That just may be the dumbest thing I have read on Scubaboard., Is he suggesting an inboard is better or suggesting that no one should head to sea under power? What about the Kayakers that went missing? I guess maybe anyone at all ever going into the sea is "begging for instant expedition" whatever that really means

Last edited:
That just may be the dumbest thing I have read on Scubaboard., Is he suggesting an inboard is better or suggesting that no one should head to sea under power? What about the Kayakers that went missing? I guess maybe anyone at all ever going into the sea is "begging for instant expedition" whatever that really means

:shakehead:

Hi, I am on the island of Utila and I would recommend you contact the Port Captain on Roatan and have him notify the Port Captain on Utila. The seas are fairly rough at the moment coming out of the East so you are correct he would drift to the West but might well go right by Utila. What is the Nationality of the missing fisherman?
You might also want to contact the National Park at Cayos but I really doubt he would have drifted in that direction.
There is also a private plane based in La Cieba that could begin a search pattern but before doing so I would have the Roatan Port Captain plot the most likely course.
It has been three days and he could have traveled quite a ways in the current sea conditions.
How big is the Cat he is on?

Very sad story. I hope he found safe and sound.

That just may be the dumbest thing I have read on Scubaboard.

Then you have not spent near enough time reading ScubaBoard because there is SO much worse out there :D

Here is the picture.

8466882.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom