US cell phone carriers in cozumel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miserkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was in Cozumel last year and I was using my Verizon Wireless phone with Mexico data plan....it was working well that was you able to use my GPS I was able to search for Stuff and the internet was fine.

I might change to T-Mobile because they are cheaper than Verizon Wireless I wonder if other carriers work well in Cozumel because that is a place I'm going to frequent often for some cheaper scuba-diving..... please share your experience with using your data for cell phone in Cozumel using various u.s. carriers.

THANKS!

I have T-Mobile in the US. It functions seamlessly in Mexico. No additional cost either. It just works.

Yep, T-Mobile works in Cozumel. Phone calls are cheap and data is free (if a bit slower)

I have an ATT plan that includes service in Mexico. It works really well in Cozumel. I haven’t shopped plans recently and they change all the time, but the basic ATT plans don’t include Mexico. I bought an upgraded plan for more data and service in Mexico. The same data plan covers US and Mexico, so I don’t worry about a separate data limit in Mexico. Good coverage in town and down south where we do surface intervals.

Yes to T-Mobile! Excellent in Mexico-- Better than here at home in the USA, in my opinion. Probably because T-Mobile is actually a German company- not a US company. I find their service to be almost always better in other countries.

I have T-mobile and it worked well with free texts and data in Mexico. It includes free texts and data to 210 countries. I've confirmed it in Turkey and Egypt. Last summer my daughter, who is on my plan, used it in Italy, France, and Spain. That's supposedly only 2G speeds and you can pay $5/day for 4G speeds. I did a few times but didn't really notice a difference.

About 20 years ago I was new and naive to cell phones, used it for a lot of online gaming on a trip, and got hit with a $500 phone bill. After that I made sure to keep cellular data and roaming off but it was frustrating to have others with me freely using their phones while I could only use when on wifi.

Then I got ATT International Day Pass which is $10/day for unlimited use. On a Philippines trip I had $60 extra charges even though I probably sent less than a dozen texts and used it for maps a few times. Pay by use charges would probably have been under $10. Not a painful hit but hey that's a few nice dinners. The problem with that plan is it activates on first use and you get charged $10 even if you do nothing but make one text. I don't usually use my phone a lot on trips, and if their model was "actual charges or $10, whichever is less" I'd likely still be on ATT. I refuse to be charged $10 for one short text as a matter of principle.

I might change to T-Mobile because they are cheaper than Verizon Wireless
Just in case you qualify but didn't know, Verizon offers $40/month discounts to veterans on some plans. I had some issues at first, the agents couldn't answer my questions well, and it was frustrating - but with the last change in plans offered, we switched to a new Unlimited everything plan that works well in Cozumel and perhaps all of Mexico. It's a $35/month/phone plan that is fast enough for us, but we got it for $30 since we have six on our family group, less the $40 discount shared over six phones = $23.33/line before taxes, fees, insurance, and device payments. That's difficult to beat.

Ok, I see that T-Mobile has some Vet discounts, but not enough to appeal to me. See Now I am getting the full $40/month Veteran discount with Verizon There are also many employee discounts if you're not a Vet.

I'm happy with my 2½ year old phone so my part of the bill does not include any device payments, and I am trying to encourage the rest of the family to adopt such an attitude. I've nagged them for years to treat their phones like expensive and delicate electronics that they are, and they're doing better at not trashing or losing theirs, so the shared insurance plan that covers up to three loses/year is working for us for $45/6 = $7.50/line before deductible.

Regardless of which carrier you use, be sure to download a map of the area where you are traveling so you can use your navigation even if you have no service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom