US China Trade War: Impact on Scuba industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How so please?

HK government, under CCP control, is trying to pass an extradition law, which basically allow "unlawful" activities and persons in HK, to be trial in China under the Chinese legal system. The power to determine what is unlawful, and who is to extradited is solely rely one one person's decision, HK governor, not by the HK judicial system. If this law is passed, which is likely will, if you violate a law of China while HK but not necessary violating a law of HK, you can be extradited to China for trial.

From outsider, it may not look too bad. But the law in China works like this. General rule in the society is actually quite loose. But the minutes you did anything which is considered to be an attempt to unstablize the CCP or government, it is a huge deal. You will be locked up, your family and extetnded family may be affected as well. This can be as simple as publically discussing human right, Tiananmen Square incident, or anything but praise about President Xi.... HK has had years of freedom of speech, it this law were to pass, it will definitely be surpressed. Who know what will follow. This is why 1Million people in HK were protesting again this law on 6/9.

Americans have always been blindly addicted to a cheap price. It’s the first thing they look at. They are all about the money and don’t have enough vision to see the eventuality if their decisions.
But just because one item made in China may be half of what a similar item made in USA is, Americans are still broke because they just buy more crap all made in China...because it’s cheap. This leads to rampant consumerism. Instead of one great HD hair dryer made in USA that lasts for years and has parts available, now you buy 5 hair dryers made in China, there are no parts available and they all burn out within a few years and go into a land fill. At one time you had a choice if you wanted to spend more money for better quality, there were a few US manufacturers left. They are all gone. Now you have a choice of cheap Chinese crap or a more expensive Chinese crap (not necessarily better).

Americans are all proud as they pretend to be green while they’re driving to Walmart to load their carts with more disposable Chinese crap.
Just go down the the port of Oakland or Long Beach and look at how many ships come in each day and how many shipping containers get offloaded. It’s staggering.
One company offshores to cut costs and they all have to do it.
It’s been going on for 45 years.
How come our government let it go for so long? It’s to the point of a national security crisis now. We don’t produce enough stuff here anymore to survive as a country if there ever was a crisis.
We made a deal with the devil.
What we need to do is complete the second half or the domestic side of this deal. Give upstart manufacturers of goods cheap money backed by our government and huge tax incentives if they make their stuff here. Every component of their product that is not made here suffers the tariff. That way it’s not an all or nothing proposition.
We need to take our medicine.

.....now you buy 5 hair dryers made in China, there are no parts available and they all burn out within a few years and go into a land fill.

If you burned out 5 hair dryers in a few years, they must cheap indeed. :)

If you burned out 5 hair dryers in a few years, they must cheap indeed. :)
Just sayin as an example.
Think of coffee pots?
USA made Rubatex vs this new cheap Chinese crap they use now that smashes out after one deep dive and it’s junk.
What’s going to happen to all
these cheap Chinese regs and the stainless components?
If someone consciously looked for only USA made dive gear could they put together a full dive ready setup?
I don’t know the answer, but it got me wondering. It would be a fun exercise. I doubt it for all-new, but maybe if some old gear was used to fill in the gaps.

Think of coffee pots?
USA made Rubatex vs this new cheap Chinese crap they use now that smashes out after one deep dive and it’s junk.
If someone consciously looked for only USA made dive gear could they put together a full dive ready setup?
I don’t know the answer, but it got me wondering. It would be a fun exercise. I doubt it for all-new, but maybe if some old gear was used to fill in the gaps.

This will be very difficult. A "made in china" free dive gear would probably be possible.

I used to think like you. Start by thinking american citizens were at fault for want to buy low cost stuffs. Then american corporate to want to do cost reduction by relocation manufacturing and even R&D offshore. It turned around and hurt us in a long. But I have a very different understanding of the situation now after expat experience in South East Asia. But I think that is another topics for another day.

This will be very difficult. A "made in china" free dive gear would probably be possible.

I used to think like you. Start by thinking american citizens were at fault for want to buy low cost stuffs. Then american corporate to want to do cost reduction by relocation manufacturing and even R&D offshore. It turned around and hurt us in a long. But I have a very different understanding of the situation now after expat experience in South East Asia. But I think that is another topics for another day.

I'd actually like to hear it, if you will.

Think of coffee pots?

Try made in US, Canada , and Europe. That would be much easier.

Back
Top Bottom